Lightning strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce Harkness

My power cord has evidence of a lightning hit. The cord was plugged into the dock, but not the boat. The cord was coiled up on the bow. Where the cord touched the edge of the boat and the edge of the dock, it looks like a firecracker was inserted. The insulation on the white wire is split at both points. Did lightning hit my boat or the dock or did a power surge come up the cord?

B

Bryan C.

Could be a short

Have the dock master check the outlet to ensure it is properly grounded.

S

Steve Cook

Check the dock power

I would 1st. check the shore power box,then your cord. Did you have a storm? Did anybody else have any problems? Lightning hit my H310 and a high voltage power pole at the same time 3 weeks ago. My shore power cord was pugged in to the boat. It really made a mess out of my 12volt and 110 volt systems. I may be buying a new boat!!! You did not say how old your shore power cord is and what its condition was or if you had any other problems. If you took a lightning strike, you would know it !!! It sounds to me that your shore power had a surge. When I unplug my boat, I turn off the breaker in the dock box. This assures no stray voltage. Good luck finding the source of your problems and let me know if I can help. Steve, s/v The Odyssey (H310)

M

Mark Kissel

More puzzle pieces, please.

Bruce, What is the "edge of the boat and the edge of the dock" made of? Metal? Is there corresponding damage to the boat and dock? If so, can you describe it? This sounds more like a short circuit situation as Bryan suggests. Tell me about your shore power; 120 or 240 VAC? Grounded? (I hope). If this is a 120 V connection, the white wire would imply that it is the neutral. If it's not plugged in, there should be no current flow on the neutral. ??? Any slipmates have problems with their equipment? How far are you from the nearest utility transformer? Does your shore power have a fused disconnect? What size fuses? Give us more info. I'm really puzzled. Mark Kissel Kittiwake/98H240

D

Dean T Reed

Seen it happen

While in the Navy,( San Diego )Our ship was tieing up upon our return. We were making the change from ship power to shore power. On the dock were many coils of various sizes of power lines.They are usually to length for specific areas to be attached. An extra coil was not hooked to the ship and when the power was applied to that particular coil,the bitter end blew up. The reason given to us was that in the coiled position, magnetic lines of flux created a secondary source of electricity that blew the end off.

M

Mark Kissel

Dean,

I don't know who explained that to you, but nothing could be further from the truth.

R

Rick Webb

The Same Guy Who Wanted Shoreline

Remember being sent out to get a length of "shoreline" or the left handed screwdriver?

J

John Mavrovich

Unplugging the Power Cord

Bruce, it's better to shut the breaker at the dock first, then unplug - preferably unplug from the dock rather than the boat. Sounds like a surge of some kind from the receptacle. Good thing the power wasn't connected.

B

Bruce Harkness

Puzzle pieces

Pretty sure it was lightning, bad storm last Saturday AM that lasted several hours. The rub rail is metal, the dock frame metal. Just talked to the dock master, it blew the little 1.5 amp fuse on my dock pedestal light and some others. The boat across from me lost some electronics. It was plugged nto the dock, not the boat. I am at the end of the dock, long way from transformer. Did not blow breakers on my pedestal. Plus,I just used my last three feet of shoreline ;). Did the surge come up to my boat through the cord or down from my boat to the dock? Sounds more like my boat got hit?

B

Bruce Harkness

I was not there

I left the boat for a week and a half and came back to this. Nothing to do with plugging, unplugging or switching breakers on or off.

J

Jeff Davis

Our H240 was struck

Our 240 was struck while at a mooring. There was lots of damage. All the lights were blown out. Also the electric bilge pump wouldn't work. There was a big hold in the middle of the bimini which was folded over the tiller. There were exit holes in several spots of the hull. The insurance company totaled it.

M

Mark Kissel

Starting to fit in the pieces.

Just like a puzzle, bits of information can sometimes be assembled to "see" the whole picture. This is beginning to sound more like a nearby lightning discharge. I'll make a few gross assumptions and you can correct me where I'm wrong. Considering this happened during a storm, it's probably a safe bet to assume it was raining at the time. The wet hull would form a reasonable conducting path between the rub rail and water. Maybe your rub rail is even bonded to your boat ground. A nearby lightning discharge, especially in the vicinity of the transformer, could elevate the ground potential to thousands, even millions of volts. The transformer and neutral wire are bonded to earth ground. A lightning discharge could elevate the neutral to this potential. This voltage is "looking" to dissipate itself along any appropriate path. I am assuming your shore power cord was in good shape and not worn through where it touches the rub rail and dock. Many types of power cords have insulation rated for a maximum of 600 volts. Exceed this limit and the insulation can no longer contain the voltage on the conductor. It will arc out wherever it can find a suitable lower potential. The water your boat sits in represents a rather immense ground source of lower electrical potential. Beginning to get the picture? If the neutral was energized to lightning generated voltages, your boat's wet-hull-ground-path and the metal dock likely conducted some of that energy to the water. Hence I would expect to see arcing at both the rub rail and on the metal dock as these voltages far exceed the insulation rating of the shore power cord. So, to answer your question, I suspect the surge traveled from the shore power receptacle to your dock and boat as it made its way to ground (water). Should you be concerned? I would check all electronics to make sure they are okay. Look on the sides of the boat for any indication of arc-tracking (carbon deposits) from the rub rail to the water line. If you do not see any structural damage to the gel coat, breathe a sigh of relief and go sailing! Mark Kissel Kittiwake/98H240

B

Bruce Harkness

Thanks all

All I had time to do was grab the cord and take it home. I'll go down tomorrow and check it out more carefully. Have a great weekend.

P

Phil Teter

Bad marina wiring

Bruce If your Marina power was properly grounded there is no way you could get that high a voltage on neutral (white conductor). Give your Marina the bill for replacing your power cord and till them to correct their power distribution system. The National Electrical Code Article 555 covers Marinas and Article 250 covers grounding. If you are on a Corps of Engineers lake you may be able to get some support from them to get your marina to correct their facilities. Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.