Lightning Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CapnCape

I have a 1973 G 26. Is the lightning protection (grounding setup) adequate and safe? How can I check it to verify that it is working?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Even if someone were to describe 30+ year old original grounding to you, there is no guarantee someone, sometime throughout it's life didn't make changes, improve it or eliminate it. When you consider what normal deterioration, corrosion, etc can do, the original configuration is irrelevant. The only way for you to know definitively is to inspect what is currently there. Once you do that, describe it here and ask for suggestions/comments.

C

CapnCape

Even if someone were to describe 30+ year old original grounding to you, there is no guarantee someone, sometime throughout it's life didn't make changes, improve it or eliminate it. When you consider what normal deterioration, corrosion, etc can do, the original configuration is irrelevant. The only way for you to know definitively is to inspect what is currently there. Once you do that, describe it here and ask for suggestions/comments.

There is a wire cable attached to the port chainplate that is attached to the most forward keel bolt which is embedded in the iron keel. Obviously the chainplate is bolted to the port stay which is attached to the mast head via a clevis pin.

Aug 3, 2005
Morgan 33 O/I Green Cove Springs FL
Well, If it makes

You feel good, then it's good enough. You can read all the information you want to about grounding your boat for lightnning protection. The bottom line is nothing is gonna work. Lightning will do what ever it wants to.
This comes from many years as an EE trying to figure the stuff out in Florida.
Spend as much as you want or as little makes no diff. I have discovered that prayer seems to work.

Fair Winds
Dave

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
There is a wire cable attached to the port chainplate that is attached to the most forward keel bolt which is embedded in the iron keel. Obviously the chainplate is bolted to the port stay which is attached to the mast head via a clevis pin.
what you describe sounds like a basic grounding system absent gounding wires to each thruhull, the engine and tanks. Lightning will not always take the direct path to ground via the stays without jumping around unpredictably which is why many manufacturers include all metals in the bonding system. Others choose to bond nothing under the theory that grounding attracts lightning. Your choice - there is no absolute here.

Aug 20, 2009
Catalina C30 Oakville
one of the reason I do subscribe to plastic through hulls though and not metal. Of all the things that could happen.. assuming I am still alive to care.. I would rather not sink. :)

James

Status
Not open for further replies.