lightning (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robin

My mast ground wire is disconnected, but my shrouds and stays are grounded. What kind of jeopardy am I in if I take a strike with things in this condition? What does everyone think is the best way to protect sensitive electronics (laptop, PC, gps). Sorry to beat a dead topic but I didnt find much in the archives specifically for this. thanks!

K

Ken Shubert

Safe Storage ?

If at all possible, sensitive electronics like Laptops, Palmtops, GPS, etc should be stored in a metal box. Don't forget that magnetic media, (ie floppies, Zipdisks, etc) can be damaged by nearby lightning too and should be stored in metal. There's no guarantee but only levels of protection. If these devices are necessary for navigation and must remain on line, you'd best carry a spare. It's a good idea to disconnect any antennas and ground them with a shorting strap too. Ken S/V Wouff Hong

D

Don

A is connected to B

If the shrounds/stays are grounded, it's irrevelent whether you have the mast wire grounded as it is already by virtue of the connection of the three where they meet on the mast. Having the mast directly grounded serves to provide a more direct path and may arguably better protect the electronics although nothing is really safe from mother nature

P

Phil Teter

Bad information

Robin you are getting some BAD information. Go directly to http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/nasd/docs/as04800.html for NFPA Lightning Protection Code information. GROUND THE BASE OF YOUR MAST.

E

Eric Lorgus

Grounding improves your chances, but...

Robin, The link Phil gave you is excellent -- read it. From my own worrying about lightning over the years, what I've learned is that it's quite unpredictable. The best you can do is protect your boat as much as possible, but even then, lightning may still zap through the boat in ways and directions you'd never believe. Putting sensitive electronics in a metal box is a new one to me. I don't know if that would work or not. My advice to protect those things would be to disconnect them from anything else metal on the boat, i.e., disconnect the power supply and antenna cables. That should improve your chances. However, I've read stories about lightning going right through fiberglass hulls, leaving holes, and in some cases, sinking boats. I've since given up worrying about lightning. Protect your boat as best as you can, disconnect sensitive electronics, and hope you don't take a strike. If you yourself are in a storm, stay away from the large masses of metal in the boat, like the engine. Eric Lorgus

J

jim cutler

new lightning protection web site for sailboats

www.chestnuthillind.com a kit of components for proffessional instillation on sailboats with al masts. reasonable price

Status
Not open for further replies.