lighting storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Max Cardinal

I'm new to sailing. I was wonder what do you do if you are out and a lighting storm comes up?

D

David Foster

Reef, shelter, ground? and Archives

Welcome, Max. This is a great sport, and part of the fun is being prepared for the 1 percent of the time when it could be scary. Do look in the archives. One thread on the subject of lightning has a link to an authoritative, and comprehensive discussion of the subject. What follows is from my memory: Shelter. A modern sailboat with an aluminum mast, and steel shrouds will keep you and your crew safe. Stay in the cockpit, or cabin, and away from metal or wires attached to the big aluminum lightning rod over your head, and the boat will protect you. Reef. Of course, lightning means a strong storm, so you want to shorten sail, and head for safe harbor. Grounding? There are two sides to this discussion. Good grounding will reduce the chances of damage if you are struck. On the other hand, it probably increases the chances to be struck. Good grounding consists of two things: First, your mast is connected by a heavy wire to one square foot of copper exposed to the water. (A lead keel is an OK substitute if it's not encapsulated in fiberglass.) Since this was not built into our '77 h27, I have a 1/4 inch electric cable to fasten to the mast and trail in the water (with enough length to equal a square foot) when lightning approaches. Second ground your engine, and through hulls by conecting them with heavy wire to protect them, and improve their grounding. (Most stories of strikes seem to involve cooking the electronics whether they are grounded of not.) If you are hit, do have the boat surveyed. Hull damage ranging from small holes to weakened fiberglass laminate has been reported in some cases. Summary - the boat will protect you and your crew. Well implemented grounding will reduce the chances for damage to the boat if you are struck. Oh yeah. Despite trepidations, I've been through a couple of lightning storms and have not yet been struck! David Lady Lillie

I

Ian Cameron

Hit by lightning

While moored in my last boat, a Ross 930, I was struck by lightning. My companion and I were in the salon listening to the storm getting closer and counting the seconds. They got down to one second between the flash and the thunder, and then the boat was hit. I had one foot on the sole, and received a mild shock. My friend had both feet on the cushion, and didn't feel anything. The boat sustained no damage. The fact that we were anchored, providing a path to ground, may have had some effect.

T

Tom

Good link David...Here is another one

http://www.thomson.ece.ufl.edu/lightning/

Status
Not open for further replies.