lifeline

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If they’re original from 1984 they’re probably vinyl coated and should be replaced anyway. The vinyl cracks and leads to crevice corrosion, and hides the damage. 40 years would be over my risk threshold.

If they’re not original they may have been replaced with a different size, so measuring them would be the only way to confirm.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
measuring them would be the only way to confirm.
:plus: Boat is 30 years old. Take pelican hook to a store and have them compare to various stud fittings. It is a great substitute for a micrometer, if not in your tool box.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Also, there are left hand and right hand threads. As mentioned, take one to the store to compare.
Cheers

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Most common lifeline wire size is 7x7 3/16 x 5/16. 7x7 refers to arrangement of strands in the wire rope. 3/16" is the wire diameter, 5/16" is the wire with vinyl coating's diameter. It's now up to you to contact whomever you plan to purchase the hardware from to determine what exactly you need. First question is what type of connector is on you wire. Is it a threaded stud? Are the threads the same orientation on both sides, or does oneside tighten clockwise while the other is reversed. If so you'll have to buy the appropriate hook for the reverse. If you choose to buy a kit, such as made by suncor, be aware you will have to purchase a special compression tool, the simple ones run about 40-50 bucks. You can cut the wire a hacksaw and some tape to discourage fraying.
I encourage you to research this subject by visiting a few online chandlery's such as west marine, velas sailing, Defender, etc. You'll learn a lot. May save some money, if you do. I replaced all lifelines, fixtures, stanchions a few years back and I saved quite a bit by schooling myself before ordering anything. I found the best deal at San Diego Marine's cruising division called "downwind marine" Good luck.

• Helpful