Lifeline Stanchion Installation 1987 Catalina 22

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Met up with a Yacht Windless vs my Stanchion and Lifeline while trying to maneuver out of a slip on New Year's Day. Heavy +20MPH Cross Winds and BOOM
Anyone out there who has had to replace this item with reasonable success?
Bought the Stanchion, Plate and Hardware from Catalina Direct.

I absolutely despise dealing with the support department and cringe every time I need request help with these folks. there has to be another vendor that can offer up the same parts inventory and with a little more people skills.
Done vetting................Any forewarning before I tackle this next issue would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
If the stachions are mounted with machine screws attached to an aluminum plate imbedded in the deck it should be relatively straightforward to replace. Maybe other Catalina 22 owners can weigh in on how they are attached. In the meantime, this stanchion installation video might be helpful: Installing Stanchions and Lifelines on my Sailboat - YouTube

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Bought the Stanchion, Plate and Hardware from Catalina Direct.

I absolutely despise dealing with the support department and cringe every time I need request help with these folks. there has to be another vendor that can offer up the same parts inventory and with a little more people skills.
Yes. Catalina Yachts has a parts and customer service dept. Contact them through the general switchboard number on the website. CatalinaYachts.com You may also try contacting any authorized Catalina dealer. CatalinaDirect is a third party vendor.... not the factory.

Okay.... so tell us your installation problem. A quick inspection below deck should tell you a lot. Removing the old stanchion can prepare you for the installation. Use the proper bedding compound and technique described in the youtube vids. Pretty easy project, go for it.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@John Marrone Look under the deck where the stanchion is for access. Often the liner from the inner hull behind the wood trim has to be cut to allow a wrench to fit the bolts as they are so close. Depending on the installer that day though you may be able to get a socket or vice grips on the nut. There is no aluminum plate embeded in the glass like on hunters so its trough bolts, washers (or a backing plate on some models) and nuts. Use Butyl to re-bed the bolts and I like to chamfer the screw holes to prevent spider cracking using a recessing bit in a cordless drill. Lots of good YouTube vids on how to do that though.

The Catalina 22 Tech Manual from the Catalina 22 association I believe has photos and a full article on the process as well if you have one. If not you can always purchase one. Its well worth the cost as it saves days of googling for answers on specific projects and getting mixture of good / bad advice online.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
John here's the pics I told you about.

Remove the teak strip to expose the fiberglass flange. Remove the two inboard bolts first to get them out of the way, then Dremel out a section of the flange to expose the two outboard bolts. Sockets won't reach up in there, you will need box end wrenches and patience. The factory installed the stanchions onto the deck before the deck was attached to the hull ... hence the PITA we face when replacing or rebedding them.

2266.JPG

2265.JPG

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Assume cutting the "lip edge" off will be covered up by the Teak Trim, then.
Looks like cutting off just the turn town edge will not allow me access to the nuts, then.............

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
Totally agree! Can't stand dealing with the support department at Catalina Direct. How members in that department remain employed as customer service representatives is beyond me? Uppity know-it-all's with absolutely zero people skills who make you feel like an idiot if you dare question their advice. Had one guy actually laugh out loud at me over the phone when I expressed that I didn't understand the terminology he used to describe something. :snooty::badbad:

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Totally agree! Can't stand dealing with the support department at Catalina Direct. How members in that department remain employed as customer service representatives is beyond me? Uppity know-it-all's with absolutely zero people skills who make you feel like an idiot if you dare question their advice. Had one guy actually laugh out loud at me over the phone when I expressed that I didn't understand the terminology he used to describe something. :snooty::badbad:
Catalina Direct customer support is fine. It's Catalina's support department that's awful.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Catalina Direct customer support is fine. It's Catalina's support department that's awful.
Yeah, I never had a problem with CD. People complain about them often, but for my part I'm very glad they exist. Once you start restoring an old boat from a long-defunct builder, you'll soon wish you had such a company to fall back on.

Anybody want a good deal on a mid-resto '79 Albin Vega?? :laugh:

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
Yeah, I never had a problem with CD. People complain about them often, but for my part I'm very glad they exist. Once you start restoring an old boat from a long-defunct builder, you'll soon wish you had such a company to fall back on.

Anybody want a good deal on a mid-resto '79 Albin Vega?? :laugh:
I agree Gene. My comment above was not directed towards the CD customer service department, which is who you speak with when ordering parts, etc.. Those guys are great and always helpful. My angst is with the support department (i.e. technical support) when you have technical questions that sometimes go beyond the customer service reps ability to answer. Seems like there's only one guy who works in the support department (or maybe it's just my luck that I always get him) and it's never a fun experience. :banghead:

I've just learned from experience to buy my parts from CD but utilize this forum or google search to get answers to my technical questions.

Fair Winds!
~~~ _/) ~~

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I agree Gene. My comment above was not directed towards the CD customer service department, which is who you speak with when ordering parts, etc.. Those guys are great and always helpful. My angst is with the support department (i.e. technical support) when you have technical questions that sometimes go beyond the customer service reps ability to answer. Seems like there's only one guy who works in the support department (or maybe it's just my luck that I always get him) and it's never a fun experience. :banghead:

I've just learned from experience to buy my parts from CD but utilize this forum or google search to get answers to my technical questions.

Fair Winds!
~~~ _/) ~~
Not clear if you understand that Catalina Direct is not owned by, and does not have any affiliation with Catalina sailboats.