Lifeline netting

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I just got a new puppy. I named him Skipper so that anything that goes wrong on the boat will be his responsibility. To protect him, I am adding netting to the lifelines. The transition from cockpit to cabintop is a weird angle so I will have to add some kind of deck fitting to attach the bottom of the net at the transition. I thought that the single shank bow eye will look good and provide adequate support. I truly hate drilling any hoe in my boat but it is necessary. My question is - is there any problem drilling a 3/8" hole near the window in the head?
20210306_151422.jpg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
My question is - is there any problem drilling a 3/8" hole near the window in the head?
I presume you are drilling through the cabin exterior, through the interior wall and then lightly nutting the shank on the inside wall ?

I don't imagine it matters whether it's a fixed or opening portlight, as long as the nut is not excessively tightened on the inside. Suggest using a ni-loc type nut and a fender washer.

1617159587925.png

I wouldn't worry about the dog falling over at night. Pretty sure your wife will have him sleeping besides her at night. Only problem will be where you're sleeping. One cute little guy.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
Thanks Ralph, very helpful information. I will add a reasonable sized washer on the inside as well. I only have 3 attachment points in my slip so my worry is that puppy might fall and get crunched between the boat and the dock on one side. Also I like the look of netting.

Apr 7, 2006
Hunter 25 Spicewood, Texas
We used snaps on ours. We made loops of sunbrella to hold the snaps on the netting. Those just snap to the snap head installed in the hill with a screw and some 4200 for sealing. Nothing protrudes inside.

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
My full grown dog became a traveler around the boat so I got a leash that is comprised of a long bungee and an end that can clip around my waist or below around the compression post. We put the dogs below when we’re doing something that entices her to go towards the bow. I’m also going to put some non-skid on the deck so she has more traction.
definitely get your pup a brightly colored life jacket.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
My full grown dog became a traveler around the boat so I got a leash that is comprised of a long bungee and an end that can clip around my waist or below around the compression post. We put the dogs below when we’re doing something that entices her to go towards the bow. I’m also going to put some non-skid on the deck so she has more traction.
definitely get your pup a brightly colored life jacket.
That is excellent advice, I'll give that a try. He just outgrew his first lifejacket, another is on the way.