Lifeline Mounted Privacy Screen? Where to Buy

Apr 15, 2021
C&C 40-2 AC St John
My wife and I bought a sailboat in southern waters last year and it came with some of that mess privacy/sun shade material mounted on the lifelines around the cockpit. Unfortunately it was rotten enough to pull off by hand.

Does anyone know what that stuff is called &/or where to buy it? We both liked it for the short time we had it on the boat and have been looking for replacement material ever since.

Thanks,
Sean

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've been using the sunshade stuff from Home Depot as sun covers for many years now, and I'm sure it would do as well as the expensive boat stuff for your needs.
Originally, I tied knots at the corners and used twine to secure it.It worked so well, I had a sailmaker make up a "proper" one and both were still in fine shape after 7+ years in the tropical sun. I like the stuff because it is very cheap, supposedly cuts out 75% of the sun, and has holes so I need not ever take it down because a gust or the wind blows harder steadily. Obviously, it is not water proof, but it does make the majority of the water run off it.

Apr 15, 2021
C&C 40-2 AC St John
Thanks for the info, the stuff I was referring to was a mesh not solid fabric so much like what you found at home depot. Will look into it.

Sean

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sean… post a picture.
I have used some mesh screen material I found. Not sure it is what you are thinking.
1699720449964.jpeg

It was on sale at walmart. I modified it to fit my boat. Works well in our PacificNW climate.

Apr 15, 2021
C&C 40-2 AC St John
Don't have a photo of what we had but it was a mesh that matched our Blue Bimini and Dodger. I was look at the department stores for options.

Thanks,
Sean

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good luck.
Royal Blue? Or Navy Blue? Color of dodger.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
down south it is Called this

No See Um

Great for nights with bugs in the air , normally used at Anchor.

Jim..

PS: Our zips up to the Bimini.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Are you referring to "weather cloth"? If so, I just had a local canvas person make some for my boat last year before sailing from San Francisco to Oahu. They definitely help keep some of the spray out of the cockpit.

IMG_4622 cr.jpg

• Helpful