Life On A C-310

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I know some of you are planning to make the move, and not sure if any of you out there are currently doing it but - What are the thoughts of long term living on a C-310. As mentioned in past posts, I have owned a fleet of Catalina Yachts over my lifetime. Some smaller, and some larger than my current C-310. The positive side is that the 310 is a great boat, easy to sail and does not have the high equipment cost that say my C-42II did.

We are in the home stretch of retirement planning, and the thought now is, (concern is more the point) will the C-310 be large enough to live on full time, for 6-8 months of the year. (warm weather area such as FL / East Coast) or do we make a search and move up to maybe a C-350 / C-355 where we have a separate back cabin (door) and a shower aboard. Were about four (4) years away, and that is a pretty short time frame to locate and payoff the larger boat.

Wanted to see what comments people have that spend long periods of time on their boat. (our longest stay has been about 12 days) If anyone is living on the C-310 how they deal with storage, space, guests, showers, and all the little details? How far ranging or you with your C-310, and do you feel she has protected you in less than fair seas.

All comments plus and minus are welcome.

Thanks
Russ
s/v Long Story

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I bought a C310 four years ago with the thought it would be our last boat. The first year or so it seemed okay but as time went on it became smaller and smaller, particularly the head and floor space in the forward cabin-it got to feel more like camping. (We are not full time live aboards but do long cruises.) Sold the 310 and after a long search bought a Beneteau 37 a year and a half ago; that few extra feet makes a world of difference. We did look hard at and liked an awful lot the 355 among others. Won't go into all the reasons we chose the B37 over the others, the point here being size, and to that point for us 60 somethings it fits whereas the C310 did not. Understanding that we all have differing perceptions of space and tolerance for living in it, I am just relating our experience. (We are not particularly large people :)) While it was tough to give up the 310, we have not looked back, extremely happy we made the jump.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Love my H31 but I am not living aboard. After a very few days the small head/tight shower and lack of a real fridge make the passage seem, as Harry aptly said, too much like camping. That's why I am prohibited from going to boat shows.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We love live on our C-310. We bought Smitty in the winter of 2010 and for the 2011 season were mainly weekend users with a couple of week long cruises. We are in our 30's and were moving up from a 24 foot sailboat. Towards the end of that first season we started extending the weekends to be there from Thursday to Monday. For the 2012 season, my Bride didn't work. We lived aboard from April through November that year. She would go home during the week and do laundry, mow the lawn, cleanup the house, etc. but we probably spent less than 5 nights at our house that entire season. For the 2013 season, my Bride was back to work. We again lived aboard from April through December but would go to our house every Monday to do laundry. We would be back to the boat by Tuesday most weeks.

Our house goes on the market today. We are hopping to sell it by May and then we will be full-time live aboards on the C310. We plan to stay in the Boston area for about 20 months while we continue to build the cruising kitty. This will include living aboard for a winter. In October of 2015 we plan to leave New England to do the ICW, jump to the Bahamas for the winter of 2015-2016. Come back to do the East Coast for summer of 2016. Then start down the Thorny Path to do the Caribbean and South America for 2016-2017. We will probably run out of money around then and will have to figure out what to do next.

Clothes has been the toughest part as the hanging locker isn't very big. My Bride is an accountant and has to dress "up scale business casual" (essentially business dress). I'm a geologist and wear mainly jeans and shorts to work with the occasional khakis and button-up shirt for meetings. We added a hook next to the mast post and my wife's clothes would hang there or in the car. My stuff was in two of the drawers under the front birth. We had a large duffle bag in the back birth for dirty close. This year I am adding a small clothes hanging rod in the back birth so that additional clothes can hang out of the way. (I'll post some photos when I am done.) If we were just cruising and didn't have to worry about work clothes, a rubbermade container for extra cloth storage in the back would work fine (will work fine once we finally leave).

We have no problem fitting food for 7-10 days. I am doing the paleo thing so that means lots of meat and fresh veggies. Right now we just use the fridge but we are thinking of adding some additional space. The ideas we are kicking around are either a spill over kit to turn the dry storage next to the fridge into additional refrigerated storage or a portable fridge/freezer unit that plugs into a 12 volt outlet. The main reason we are considering these is because we plan to cruise the Bahamas in the near future.

The storage under the settees is filled with tools and spare parts. We also did loose part of the port settee when I added a third battery there. We will also use the cabinet in the rear birth on the port side to store more spares when we go out cruising.

We use the back birth for additional storage. This year we ditch the cushions from the back in favor of an air mattress. A queen size air mattress fits the area pretty perfect and when not in use takes up much less space than the cushions. We keep what ever we store back there in rubbermade containers so we can take them out easily if we have guests. We also limit them to what we can stack up in front of the port settee.

The lazarette is kept for chemicals and stuff we don't want in the boat. Spare anchors and rhode, life jackets, cleaning chemicals, gas for the dink and room for fenders. We use the shelf above the holding tank for canvas storage: wheel cover, dodger window covers, mainsail cover, connector, bimini boot, etc.

I mounted the grill to the stern rail so its over the propane locker on the port side. It stays out all the time with a cover on it. We use the grill daily to cook. I got a second propane tank that is in the port locker that connects to the grill so we don't have to use the green cans anymore. It's nice to just stand on the open transom and cook.

Two big improvements for space we did last year were the folding wheel and removing the salon table. We found a folding wheel for $450 from Defender on clearance. It really opens the cockpit up. We removed the table pedestal. I had planned on putting up a new table that hung on the bulkhead to the forward birth. But we found a plastic TV tray works great. By not having the table taking up space it really opens up the salon. I bought a cockpit table from a C-350 for $50. I might have to do some fiberglass work to make it smaller but I may put that in the cockpit if I can get it to look right. The main purpose of that is to add a foot rest because the cockpit is so wide.

I redid a good portion of the electrical system (posts here and on my blog). That doubled my house bank capacity. I will likely change over from two 4Ds to four 6 volt golf cart batteries while we are out cruising. This will add more capacity and make it a better system. Solar panels and a Honda generator will come at some point too.

The last big upgrade before we head to the Bahamas will be a water maker. We generally go about 7 days on the 55-gallons while living aboard. I don't see the need to add additional tanks if we add a water maker instead. A decent 12 volt water maker will cost $3,500 and fit under the rear birth on the port side. We will carry three Gerry cans for gas, water and diesel. Those will likely be on deck.

We either tow the dink or store it on the bow. The outboard goes on the stern rail. We are in the process of buying a new dink. We are going for light weight so it can go on the bow even easier.

For the head stuff, we go about 7 days with the 16 gallon holding tank. We don't really use the boat to shower on. When in a marina, we use the marina facilities. When we are out at anchor, we use the hot water shower on the transom. My bride has showered aboard a couple of times. When we chartered in the BVIs we did the same thing. I don't really see the need to shower in the boat very often. I would like a little more space to sit on the head but it's manageable and I'm a big guy.

We are really comfortable with the size. The C310 is very easy to handle. She is very easy for the two of us to sail, dock, motor etc. It's also a very easy boat to maintain. There is very little outside wood. Mostly fiberglass and stainless steal on the outside. Most systems are easy to get to. Show me a boat with better engine access under 50 feet. Our goal is to spend time enjoying life. I don't want to be stopped from that by having to do endless maintenance on a larger boat.

She sails well. We have had her in some rough seas with no problems. Like all wide stern boats, she doesn't like quartering seas very much. We have been out in 35 kts with gusts to 45 kts. Double reef in the main and a small amount of headsail out. We have been in 8-12 foot breakers of the Vineyard in a small craft advisory. The boat handled fine. The motion did get a little fast at times but as long as you stayed up in the cockpit it was fine. We did limit our time down below to avoid getting sea sick. Personally I find she sails a little better than the C350. I think this might be due to the 310 having a higher relative displacement.

We find that we spend time in the cockpit with friends. We typically become the entertaining boat because of the size of the cockpit. We have had 10 people in the cockpit before. When we are down below that is typically limited to just us or one other couple. We have had 8 people below before but that would be the limit. It would be nice to have separate births with doors for more privacy when we have overnight guests but that would mean you would either loose the open feel or you would have to go bigger.

We know that there are sacrifices to going with a smaller boat. You can't carry as much stuff (something we are trying to get away from anyways). But there are also benefits. We won't have to spend as much of our time doing maintenance tasks as someone with a 40 footer. We also won't have to pay as much for slips in marinas while cruising or the occasional haul out.

If we were to go bigger the C350, C380 and C400 would be the tops on our list. We love the walk around center birth. I know it doesn't make the best sea birth. But you could always use the rear birth or the settee for that. We don't plan to do cruises that involve days on end at sea. We will likely limit ourselves to 24 hours. It will primarily only be the two of us plus we have a dog that we will bring. So the sea birth thing doesn't really matter to us. We do plan to spend a lot of time at anchor in tropical bays. The C310s main birth is big, comfortable and well ventilated.

If you have an specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck with your decision and fair winds,

Jesse

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
I know some of you are planning to make the move, and not sure if any of you out there are currently doing it but - What are the thoughts of long term living on a C-310. As mentioned in past posts, I have owned a fleet of Catalina Yachts over my lifetime. Some smaller, and some larger than my current C-310. The positive side is that the 310 is a great boat, easy to sail and does not have the high equipment cost that say my C-42II did.

We are in the home stretch of retirement planning, and the thought now is, (concern is more the point) will the C-310 be large enough to live on full time, for 6-8 months of the year. (warm weather area such as FL / East Coast) or do we make a search and move up to maybe a C-350 / C-355 where we have a separate back cabin (door) and a shower aboard. Were about four (4) years away, and that is a pretty short time frame to locate and payoff the larger boat.

Wanted to see what comments people have that spend long periods of time on their boat. (our longest stay has been about 12 days) If anyone is living on the C-310 how they deal with storage, space, guests, showers, and all the little details? How far ranging or you with your C-310, and do you feel she has protected you in less than fair seas.

All comments plus and minus are welcome.

Thanks
Russ
s/v Long Story
I can't comment on the 310's livability as that is truly a personal choice. However I can share our thought process as we recently went through determining what we wanted for our *last* sailboat (we can see ourselves going to the dark side in a Sabre Salon cruiser to stay on the water as we age, but alas that is another thread). First we determined that our cruising preference is to spend 6-8 weeks at a time cruising Maine. Although we thought about heading south, we came to the conclusion over time that this wasn't for us. We choose to charter for that. We do live on the boat for the most part during the summer and have done so for the past 12 years. Over time we developed the must haves to be able to truly enjoy being on the boat for an extended period of time. When we were younger, certain things weren't an issue, but we tried to think about how we would feel as we aged (full disclosure, I was fortunate enough to retire at a very young age, so this was tougher than it seemed). We refined our wants to:
--A berth where we didn't need to climb over each other;
--A separate Shower;
--The *smallest* boat we could find that met our criteria--this one is not what most put in there criteria
--Plenty of tankage (particularly holding tank);
--Low Freeboard
--Overall ease of handling (a good sailing boat was a given)
We formulated our list based on boats we've owned, boats we've sailed on and our own particular preferences for comfort.
As we all know, all boats are a series of compromises and most people are very happy with their decisions (they bought the boat for a reason) as are we. But it took most of our sailing lives and some honest assessment of how we want to use the boat and what was important to us. Sounds like you are at that stage. Good luck...

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We find the C310 to be a comfortable boat. I've read that Gerry Douglas designed the boat to be well ventilated, with an open, spacious feel, and I think he succeeded. The large v-berth with a real mattress was a real selling point for us.
We have lived aboard for up to a year at a time, and currently live aboard 5 months of the year. As far as cruising goes, we've taken her up and down the East Coast of the US to the tune of 6,000 miles or so. She has handled the rough stuff very well so that we have a lot of confidence in her.
For storage, the stuff we don't use daily goes under the settees: diving gear, climbing gear for the mast, cleaning products, etc. Everyday stuff goes into plastic bins in the aft cabin: baking goods for the galley, extra clothes, life jackets, etc. The beauty of the bins is that we can pile several on the starboard settee to make room for guests in the aft cabin.
As you know, the solon is not very big, but for us, that's OK. We spend most of our time in the spacious cockpit which has a nice fold up table for eating. We also use the transom shower more often than the inside shower.
All in all, we find the C310 to be cozy. But then, we enjoy camping, and our land yacht is a 19' RV. To each their own. BTW, we are in our 60's, and this will be our last sailboat. God forbid, we go to the dark side, and end up in a trawler.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Hi All,

I am very much appreciating the comments, and I hope they keep coming, this is a great and positive thread. (wonder if this type of batter - praise of our boats could make it to the Main Sheet?) Point, and don't get me wrong I love our 310. Were going on our fourth year with her now, and have found no real issues and a lot more positives than negatives. Most points were made above. I needed to get some feedback on how people were doing with the model long term. I use to live all summer on my boat, Late April till Thanksgiving. (I worked for a marina in MI) but that boat was my C-42, Three Cabin and even then people would ask how can you live in such a small space all summer. I still thought the layout of my C-34 was great but most were the fin keel, so draft was a major issue.

We are approaching our 60's, plan is for me to step down at 62 and make this dream happen. IF I needed to change boats it almost needs to be now. We are also campers, and the comparison is fitting. Great to hear what improvements made things work better for each of you... thank you for the feedback.

One interesting point that came up. Even through our C-310's are maintaining their value well in todays market, the cost to move up to a similarly equipped C350-C355 becomes a matter of spending what would amount to 3 or more years of retirement / cruising budget. :eek:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I should add that two upgrades we made to the boat greatly added to livability aboard. We added a start battery and paralleled the house batts doubling our capacity, and installed a 135W solar panel, so that we sit at anchor or on a mooring almost indefinitely.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
GREAT THREAD, We found it very informative! We have moved up to the 310 from a Catalina 25. We have only owned our 310 for a little more than a year but it is all the boat we thought it would be and than some. This is our retirement boat! Bigger gets more expensive and more difficult to manage. We are in our 60's and not big people, I did not want tons of maintenance to do, we wanted to sail/cruise. Our first long trip for us can be read in the upcoming Mainsheet. We agree with what Tom said that Gerry Douglas did an great job designing our boat! We would love to go back to the east coast and ICW once both of us retire. One can have too much junk/tools/clothes, and the 310 is far from camping. We are glad the 310 sails as well as expected especially in Lake Erie-steep sometimes very BIG waves, we have had her out in 25 knots of wind with 10' seas and she handled it well. The 310 is all we wanted her to be and hopefully we will be as happy in 5 years-we held our 25 for 10 years!

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
...even then people would ask how can you live in such a small space all summer.
I have long ago given up on the opinions of most people about stuff like this. People that measure success by the size of their McMansion and how much stuff you can put in it. There are certainly people who cruise and live on smaller boats that aren't set up as well for being a full time live aboard. I can stand up straight, I have a comfortable bed and a usable head. I have cook real meals in the galley without any real issues. And I have enough room to store most of my important stuff.

One interesting point that came up. Even through our C-310's are maintaining their value well in todays market, the cost to move up to a similarly equipped C350-C355 becomes a matter of spending what would amount to 3 or more years of retirement / cruising budget. :eek:
That's where we sit too. We have a local broker that tells me all the time that he would give me a high value for our C310 on a trade in (high $50s to low $60s). But even with that and going for a C350 he had on a trade in and was willing to sell to me at a great price it would have been an additional $30K. That's 1-2 years of cruising depending on how we work it.

Also, if we had a second birth with it's own door and storage some of our guests might get too comfortable when we get to the Bahamas and the Caribbean. Having the back open birth makes it just uncomfortable enough that they won't want to stay for too long.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Just because I like to make sure my opinions are well rounded, I would like to hear from people that maybe didn't like their C310 and why.

For instance MaineSail sold his and moved to a CS36. I wouldn't mind knowing more on why he decided to sell his C310 and what he didn't like about the boat.

Not to be a downer but I would like to be realistic.

Jesse

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I should add that two upgrades we made to the boat greatly added to livability aboard. We added a start battery and paralleled the house batts doubling our capacity, and installed a 135W solar panel, so that we sit at anchor or on a mooring almost indefinitely.
Definitely agree with this. Putting the house bank in parallel was a great change.

I haven't added the solar yet but plan to in the future. Out of curiosity, how does the 135W solar panel hold up to running the fridge? IIRC, you have davits, is that where you mounted it?

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Just because I like to make sure my opinions are well rounded, I would like to hear from people that maybe didn't like their C310 and why.

For instance MaineSail sold his and moved to a CS36. I wouldn't mind knowing more on why he decided to sell his C310 and what he didn't like about the boat.

Not to be a downer but I would like to be realistic.

Jesse

When decided to go larger then my 1984 C30 looked at C36, C34,etc
and C310. Really liked the features on the C310 and didn't pay much
attention to "V" shaped "topsides" hull. After bought boat begin to
wonder why that shape when none of the other Catalinas had V shape
and most others had "U" shape design so begin to wonder if did
right thing. In addition wondered about "limited" number of boat sold when Catalina sold thousands of C30s, 25, 22s etc. Really liked the way boat handled and all the great features though. Sent letter to Gerry at Catalina and expressed my concerns. He was kind enough to call me and what boiled down to even though C30's had great lines with real "boaty" look times
are changing and have to keep up with modern design. He thought
"V" shape would be drier boat and provide wider decks. Production
stopped when economy went in the dumps and no one buying. Further
said no one sells thousands of boats anymore. In any event really
like my 2003 C310.

Clyde Thorington
C310 ILEANTOO
# 245
San Jose, CA

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Definitely agree with this. Putting the house bank in parallel was a great change.

I haven't added the solar yet but plan to in the future. Out of curiosity, how does the 135W solar panel hold up to running the fridge? IIRC, you have davits, is that where you mounted it?
Yes, Jesse, we mounted the solar panel on the davits. The aft edge of the panel sits on the cross bar of the davits, and the forward edge is supported by telescoping struts, so that the panel can be tilted forward and aft. The power output is sufficient to keep up with the fridge and then some, assuming the sun is out most of the time. Surprisingly, there is even enough sun in the New England area. Originally, we had opted for a solar panel because we lived in Florida at the time, and sized the panel accordingly.
Next step will be more LED's. Currently, only the most used light (over the galley) is LED. Then the anchor light, more interior lights, and nav lights.