Life Lines

Jan 28, 2023
catalina 22 Clinton Marina
I just purchased my first sailboat, 1984 Cat22. It doesn’t have life lines or the stanchions. Looking for recommendations on whether I should add them or not.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Pre-1986 boats weren't made to have lifelines. Thus if they are added, the stanchion posts must be mounted inboard of the toe rail. This narrows the side decks substantially and creates a tripping/toe breaking hazard while at sea. Even worse is the risk of tripping while on the hard. It's a very long fall to the pavement.

If I felt I needed lifelines to be safe on a C-22, I would trade up to a post-1986 boat. I feel that strongly about it.

JMHO. There are plenty of others who feel differently. ;)

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
I second everyone's opinion here. I have the 86, so lifelines are installed. I've taken down the lines before, but the posts sticking up by themselves end up catching more lines and ankles by themselves. I sailed Lake Erie last summer, and a fellow sailor had a C22 without the tethers and have to agree that it feels a tad bit safer with the clean deck. If I were to go that route, I'd likely setup a tether system that I'd clip into when going up onto the deck while underway.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
have an '84 as well....with lifelines. Have always wondered if that is a misnomer? doubt they'd ever save a life, and perhaps (more likely) cause me to lose mine!! (yet they are still there!)