Life line

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian

There have been three boating accidents recently in our area where people have fallen overboard and seperated from the boat. This got me to thinking of having some type of life line system for my 170 as I am usually sailing alone and sometimes am 3 miles off shore. I was thinking of teathering myself somehow to a ring mounted on the front side of the tiller post. I think there is a block of wood under the post. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks, Brian

P

Paul

Tether

I'm with you. Rely on a tether, not a life jacket. When I was young and solo, I would tie the end of the dinghy mainsheet to my life jacket. Now I wear a harness and tie on to the big boat. On your 170, you can hook up to any convenient spot, whatever's handy and strong. If nothing else, loop the far end of the tether around the mast.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
why not

tie onto the tiller. If you fall over you will turn the boat back to you.

B

Benny

3 MOBs in your area?

Is that a little drinking community with a sailing problem? Tie a line to the mast, give it some slack and tie again to mid tiller, again give some slack and tie it as a harness to yourselve. If the tiller breaks you will still be thered to the boat.

B

Brian

Drinking?

You do not even want to know the stupit things these people did to end up in the water. Actually, you might. One guy took his three kids out on a 17 ft. skiff on a day that had high surf warnings. No one was wearing PFDs. His son was never found. Another guy was out alone on his small motor boat, was goofing with the motor, was hit by a large wave and thrown overboard. The other guy was on a Hobie, the tramp. broke and he and his crew were in the water, 3 miles off shore. But, both were wearing PFD and wearing a submersable VHF and survived. The things people do on boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.