Lewmar V700 Windlass

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Is there any reason that a Lewmar V700 windlass could not be installed on a vertical surface in the anchor locker in my Cat 28 MKii?

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Is there any reason that a Lewmar V700 windlass could not be installed on a vertical surface in the anchor locker in my Cat 28 MKii?
I just installed a v700 on my boat that is similar in size to your Catalina 28. The v700 has to be mounted on a horizontal surface. I chose it cut the anchor locker lid into a forward section that opens and an aft section for the windlass support. The aft section is epoxied to the deck.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are a several considerations with mounting a windlass. First, the windlass must allow for an adequate chain fall or the chain and rode will castle with the rode falling off the windlass.

To be effective the rode needs to wrap around the gypsy, typically about 180° around.

Next is the location of the motor. The gypsy that is seen above deck is only a small part of the windlass. There is a large motor beneath the deck.

There will be a lot of force exerted on the windlass. The supporting structures must be strong enough to handle the loads.

Finally, windlasses are designed to mounted on a flat horizontal surface. Some windlass have a vertically oriented gypsy, such as the Lewmar V700 other are horizontal. The rode on the V700 must wrap around the gypsy by about 180° before falling into the chain locker. It will be impossible to do this if the wlndlass is mounted on a vertical surface.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Here is one installation that I saw. Any thoughts? Did not require modifications to the anchor locker lid.
iOS Image - 4108633544.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Here is one installation that I saw. Any thoughts? Did not require modifications to the anchor locker lid.View attachment 218301
I've seen similar types of installations with the windlass mounted on a shelf inside the anchor locker. This example looks to be made of starboard, I think that material is too soft for this application. If this was my boat I would consider an aluminum shelf or bracket or something more substantial like G10 or plywood reinforced with several layers of glass in epoxy.