Lewmar Low Profile Hatch Replace - Med or Ocean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Larry Stewart

I have a 1998 Hunter 376 and the hatch frames for the forwards three hatches are slightly warped that result in them leaking all the time. I have tried new seals and they still leak. When closed tightly..you can see the slight warp and daylight under the seal...so thought about sending them away for repair or replacing them. To repair them is about half the cost of new ones...so not sure if that is a good buy. My question is...I have Lewmar Low Profile style hatches at present (two 40's and one 60 size). Has anyone replaced this type with the Lewmar Medium Profile or Lewmar Ocean style hatch? There all have the exact same cut-out patter dimension size so it seems either style will fit. Looking to see if anyone else out here has replaced their hatches. Thanks in advance for any responses. ...Larry... "Sandy Sea"

Jun 4, 2004
- - Barcelona
Lewmar Hatches

I have the same problem with my 376. I have purchased a new seal for the model 60 Coastline, but I am also considering lifting the new seal by adding a 2 or 3 m/m thick spacer under the seal. This would increase the total depth of the seal so making the seal take up the larger space between the lid and the base. Lewmar stopped making this model in 1999, I would immagine they also know of the problem and now have an improved low profile model. If you decide to replace the units I am told by Lewmar to be careful taking out the old frame as they are stuck in and are very difficult to remove without damaging the topsides.

L

Larry Stewart

Burleigh ...thanks for responding

Burleigh....thanks for responding back. I went down yesterday after talking to the Lewmar rep and he told me to place a straight edge on the frame to see if it was the bottom hatch frame or the lid frame....it turns out that all three top lid frames have the warp on the sides (not the front or back of the top frame). So I still do not know why this occured...still trying to figure it out. When my wife puts her weight on the frame it forms a good seal...but I cannot having her standing on the hatches all the time when it rain so I need a better solution. Thanks for the response...and Happy New year to you and the suggestion. ...Larry...

Status
Not open for further replies.