Lewmar Hatch Hinge Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persy

Dec 22, 2004
Hunter 42 Madisonville
I have an '01 420 with a broken hinge on one of the Lewmar deck hatches. The insert on which the hinge rides is just cheap platic with a metal rod inside. There is an adjustment mechanism in the center that increases the diameter of the portion of the insert in the hinge to increase friction and keep hatch open at any angle.... anyway, the little plastic piece that goes into the body of the hatch has broken & Lewmar and $40 for a hinge repair kit... Paying $40 for a $.03 plastic insert is just too much for me to stomach. Has anyone else had one of these hinges break and have a more reasonable solution? thanks!

Persy

Dec 22, 2004
Hunter 42 Madisonville
another view...

another view of the broken plastic insert in the hatch body...

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Try ordering from a different provider.

I tried ordering a replacement hatch direct from the Gray web site. It cost about $100 for the particular one that I had. I bought it because I needed it right away. I then needed to replace another one later in the season. I contacted Boat/US Special Orders Desk and they got one for me from the same supplier for 3/4 of the original price. Moral of the story: Try different sources who have buying power rather than being the lone buyer for youself - you may get a better deal.

R

RobertD

Hinge repair

We also had hinge problems on our 356 with the gray plastic covers popping off. I called Lewmar Customer service abd they sent 6 Hinge pin kits no charge. They have always been very cooperative with any request. Also spoke with a rep at the US Boat show and he told me that they are working on a new screen design for the opening side ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.