Lewmar #10 Hatch Hinge Pin Removal

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
How does one remove the hinge pins of the Lewmar #10 hatch (Low Profile? - Trim Line?) on the coach roof?
- First picture shows the hatch open, showing the hinges
- The second picture is a close up of the hinges
- The third picture is a close-up of one hinge
- The fourth picture shows a hinge with the threaded center portion removed

How does one remove the pin attached to the black rubber/plastic piece? There is one on each side and they are not inclined to move.

I've been to the Lewmar site and looked at documentation, but it doesn't seem to match the hinges on this hatch.

I want to remove the lid as it is leaking. Water appears to be getting around the seal of the Lexan to the frame. If you look close the seam in the gasket is coming apart and that is where the water drips, but there is water all around the top of the gasket (yes, the top) whenever it rains. I've since re-glued the gasket seam, but water still drips. I want to take the frame off the Lexan and rebed it in the frame, then put the hatch lid back in place. That is difficult to do wit the lid attached to the frame. In fact, I'm not at all sure that I can get the frame and Lexan separated. I did remove the frame screws with the lid attached and it wasn't interested in moving.

Attachments

KZW

May 17, 2014
How does one remove the hinge pins of the Lewmar

Please see the attached pdf
Thanks. I did look at that on the Lewmar web site, but the drawings and the hinges on the hatch don't appear to match.

Look at the fourth picture. The outside pins are behind the black piece. The is no other side (cannot get to both sides) to drive the pin through and free. Further, I don't know how to remove the black piece.

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
the black piece is actually 2 wedge shaped pieces, if i remember properly pull the 1st piece out and it should disconnect. the metal wheel piece places pressure against the wedges and that keeps it intact and applies the tension to keep it open

mike

KZW

May 17, 2014
Finally got all the hinge parts out. The black plastic part is a cylinder that is split for most of its length. It jams against the aluminum hinge that is keyed to the frame. Both sides were jammed in and didn't want to move. Applied PB Blaster and rotated the lid up and down while holding with needle nose pliers. They slowly worked out.

Replacement Hinge Kit part no: 361263999
Cannot buy the individual parts

Replacement seal for the Acrylic part no: 360863999

Of course, now the frame refuses to come apart. Has anyone done this and if so, would you care to share the secret?

Attachments

Last edited:

KZW

May 17, 2014
Cannot get the frame apart to replace the acrylic and the acrylic seal. It is going to SonSet Marine Inc for a new acrylic lens and new seal.

KZW

May 17, 2014
SonSet Marine put in new acrylic, and a new acrylic seal, reseated the frame, changed the closing lever (dog) gasket, reseated the hatch gasket and I reinstalled the hatch yesterday. It poured rain last night. No water in the cabin this morning!!!! They did a great job, but the cost is dear, over 1/2 what a new hatch would cost. They were pleasant, easy to deal with, and prompt.

sonset@centurytel.net