Let it blow

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ODO Editorial

What's the strongest wind you've sailed in? A nice, polite, 15 knots? A fresh 22? A nasty 33, or a rip-snortin' 40+? Share your biggest blows here, then vote in this week's Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Got spanked last Wed -

I would estimate the gust that took me down last week at 40+. It was hard enough to be uncomfortable on the skin (not to mention the mainsail, which in fact decided that the honorable course of action was to split, just above the bottom spreader). At that point the wind was blowing 30+ in the lulls. This is definitely the most wind I have been responsible for a boat in. The most wind I've seen from a boat was a full gale. We were aboard a Jeantot 64 cat sailing from the Saba Bank to St. Maarten. Earlier, under reefed main and full genny we saw 27 knots before we started pounding too badly and reduced sail. This was well before the brunt of the storm got us. It definitely sucked. The charter crew spoke only French fluently, and I was the only guest with enough French to be useful. Made for long watches. At least this thing had so much bulk around us it was fairly dry. Them cats be funny looking animals, but man do they move! We were carrying a RIB and jetski on the deck, had watermakers, and every entertainment contrivance I've ever seen on board, and still this thing flew. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

P

Peter Stump

Blow Hard

While sailing my Coranado 25 up Lake Michigan in 1984, I got caught by a thunderstorm while crossing Grand Traverse bay, heading to Charlevoix. The storm came up in about 20 minutes and had 50+ knot winds. I was just able to clear the sails and lines befor the storm began. As I motored into the storm cell, I noticed an ore hauler leaving Charlevoix, going into the same storm cell. A few minutes later our paths converged and I did an ABRUPT jibe toward shore. Later in harbour, we found several broken strands in our backstay and a few new dings from blowing debris. I still am thankful for surviving that storm with minimal complications.

J

John

Don't know if you'd call it sailing ...

The wind was really blowing, swells were 4 ft and we got knocked down, picked her back up and got knocked down again. Lost my entire sailrig. Nothing left but the boom. If I ever get it back together, i sure won't do that again. John

A

Al Cooper

I thought it was windy

Last year we left ourHingham mooring w/a furled main & 150 in almost zero wind as NOAH predicted 20 kts. Had full main & 150 up on our P-30 by Hull gut in about 5 kts, had the 150 furled to about 130 by Scituate in 15-20 kts. came into Plymouth w/a reefed main & about 10% of the 150 out. at 6.5-8 kts on the knot meter I kinda thought it was getting windy. A bigger boat came in to a mooring near us & I allowed as how it was a quick trip down from the Weymouth/Hingham area & the captains partner said it should have been in the 30+ kts they had on their wind machine. I thought it was pretty breezy but it wasn't really windy like the 62 mph we sat thru on a mooring at the Point Independence YC in Onset, MA a couple of years ago as a hurricane stalled off Nantucket & then went thru Buzzards Bay

O

ODO editorial

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending 6/19/2000: What's the strongest wind you've sailed in? 38% 20-29 kts 24% 30-39 kts 20% 40 kts + 14% Under 19 kts

K

Kevin

35 kts sustained

In the Straight of Juan De Fuca aboard a 29ft. Bristol Bay. 12-14 breaking swells with a short frequency.

S

Steve

My first race

It was 1975 and I was crewing on a race boat for the first time in my life. We were sailing a San Juan 24 out of Sarnia YC at the south end of Lake Huron. When we got to the farthest mark a squall came up that forced us down to just a storm jib. Back in the harbour they recorded gusts over 60 while we practiced beating off a lee shore with just a jib. I got hit by another similiar squall that year but have kept on sailing. Dod learn one thing,,,,, I don't like that much wind!!

D

Dave

65 knots for 15 minutes

A few years ago in NY Harbor. NOAA declared little chance of thunderstorms because blah, blah, blah. I was singlehanding my O'Day 26 and got a real spanking. 65 knots confirmed by 3 liveaboards in my marina a mile away (masthead annemometers). Rained about an inch, waves up to 6', 3 sinkings inside the Harbor alone (one was a 45-foot motor yacht). Jib was furled and I just slipped my main with a deep second reef set. A hairy few minutes but no damage...

Status
Not open for further replies.