Leroy Somer windlas repair

Ray411

Nov 24, 2017
Beneteau 411 7777 Preston
I have a Leroy Somer windlas fitted to my 411 (2003), it's no longer working, almost certainly a problem with the actual motor. I've been trying to find a maintenance/installation manual, can anyone help? Or can anyone tell me how to remove the motor from the casing? I have got as far as i can, but not sure if I need to remove the main shaft , or how! Without causing any damage.

Ray411

Nov 24, 2017
Beneteau 411 7777 Preston
Here's an update on the Leroy Somer windlas, I've taken a couple of photos for info and have a bit more information from the ID
Plate on the motor;
Angouleme 16015
Reducteur No 2R7775
Type MB2101 M00C
Reduction 60

If anyone has any information on how to remove this motor from its casing, I would really appreciate it,
Many thanks for your help.
IMG_2904.JPG
IMG_2902.JPG

Apr 21, 2017
Beneteau 42 CC Kemah, Texas
I'm in the middle of trying to get the motor out of mine. Did you ever get your motor out of the housing?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What issue's are you having? Have you removed the windlass from our boat? DO you have pictures?

These are mechanical systems they can be dismantled. Usually you need access to their underbelly.

Oct 22, 2014
It appears you will need to look to Europe to get ideas for the repair.

Here is a link to a "Flemish" boat owner who ook on the task.

Here are some links that populated my search.

Apr 21, 2017
Beneteau 42 CC Kemah, Texas
I'm trying to get access to the motor on a Leroy Somer S801 windlass. After much work I've removed the chain gypsy and cones but it now appears that I need to remove the shaft in order to get the gearbox and motor out of the housing.

I do not see any clip or pin that holds the saft in place so I'm thinking it just gets driven out.

See the attached photos.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
When you clean up the collar on the shaft, is there a set screw under the dirt or grease?

Sep 1, 2022
Beneteau 473 Brightlingsea
I have problems on similar model of Leroy Somer windlass on my 473, I have read extensively on various blog posts, etc. and concluded that the problem is that the motor brushes are sticking in the disconnected position. I know that ultimately a replacement unit is the only safe and reliable long-term solution for this 20-year-old specimen but for now....
I carry a rubber mallet located in the anchor locker adjacent to motor, when it fails to operate, I give the motor a couple of solid taps and hey presto, it starts to work as the brushes release and make contact. After that, regular use or at least running a few meters up and down while on moorings keeps things going smoother.

SV Pantaleon - UK

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023
Lagoon 410 Hampton, VA
I'm trying to get access to the motor on a Leroy Somer S801 windlass. After much work I've removed the chain gypsy and cones but it now appears that I need to remove the shaft in order to get the gearbox and motor out of the housing.

I do not see any clip or pin that holds the saft in place so I'm thinking it just gets driven out.

See the attached photos.
There is a alan bolt opposite the shaft that needs to come out, that lets you unscrew the internal alan bolt holding on the shaft and it just pulls out. Now, what I need to figure out is how to get the motor off the gear. Let me know if you come up with anything.

May 29, 2023
Beneteau 36Cc Annapolis
I was able to pull the shaft just recently. While dismantle, do not remove the motor from the housing. Opposite side of the shaft has a machine screw, take that out. It is outside of the housing, across gypsy. It is aligned with the washer and screw in the center of the shaft. I first didn’t understand the purpose of the screw since it did not hold anything.Use long alien key and take shaft screw out. It is the shiny washer at the end of the opposite side of the shaft if you look at it from below however you can’t reach or see the center screw. Keep the pin on the shaft which stops gypsy since you will be using that to pull or push the shaft.

Attachments

Mar 6, 2023
Lagoon 410 Hampton, VA
I was able to pull the shaft just recently...
I'd previously made it as far as that but couldn't get the motor separated from the gearbox. I put it back together (and forgot a piece)and now I can't get the *$&$% gypsy off again. Did you get those two separated? I bought a new motor for mine, I can send you the link if you're interested. I just gotta get the stupid thing out again.

May 29, 2023
Beneteau 36Cc Annapolis
I replaced with Lewmar H3. I am not going to deal with that motor again. I took the whole motor to a machine shop. After two weeks we declared it dead.