Leopard 46

Aug 20, 2019
Gemini 18 Delray Beach
How well will it point? Going from Grenada to Carriacou from ST George on a charter this Jan. How long will it take,,, 6-7 hours ??

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It's about 40 nautical miles, so it depends on how fast that boat can power in 6 to 10 foot seas, once you leave the lee of Grenada. In Christmas Winds (normally Dec & Jan) this can be one of the toughest runs in the Windwards, so be prepared to have a long and tiring day. Remember, you have an underwater volcano pretty much right on your course, so you need to go west or east of that by around 3km; I recommend east so at least you can set yourself up to sail some of the trip. If you try to sail it all you can easily stretch that 40m to 60m, especially on a cat.
After Tyrrel Bay, where you should probably clear out for SVG (Hillsborough can be a pretty uncomfortable anchorage and a hard place to dock the dinghy), it gets easier and a lot more fun, though the run to Clifton (only about 9 nautical miles) is pretty much dead into a north east wind, being so short, it can be a really fun sail with lots of tacking.

Aug 20, 2019
Gemini 18 Delray Beach
Thanks for the info. To make the trip shorter, are there any places to anchor north of St George, towards the North East side of the Island ?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for the info. To make the trip shorter, are there any places to anchor north of St George, towards the North East side of the Island ?
Dragon Bay is the only one if the wind is up, and it only saves you a mile or so. Gouyave and the rest of the roadsteads on the west coast would be pretty uncomfortable in most conditions, even on a 46' cat. There is an anchorage with a breakwater at Sauteurs but I checked it out from a mile off and I didn't feel it would be comfortable or safe for my boat in anything but a light breeze or a southerly, both of which would make the trip to Carriacou easy anyway.
That trip is so often at the least long and uncomfortable, that we have our guests meet or leave us in Carriacou rather than waste a day getting beaten up. The ferry (a hundred + foot power cat) only takes a couple of hours. I can usually be anchored on Union Island and have our guests in the water snorkeling the first afternoon after picking them up off the ferry, which I can rarely do if we leave from St. George's.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019
Gemini 18 Delray Beach
We are a bunch of "old pirates" and have done this trip before, 10-15 yrs ago, just wanted to refresh my memory and get any new info,,, I did say we were old pirates. The 1 way trip from St Lucia is a better choice, but it didn't work out.

Aug 20, 2019
Gemini 18 Delray Beach
Has anyone been to Sauteurs, ( north side of Grenada ) recently ? They were working on a sea wall a few years ago and I was wondering it's status,, completed, still in progress, a good protected anchor?? Thanks

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Has anyone been to Sauteurs, ( north side of Grenada ) recently ? They were working on a sea wall a few years ago and I was wondering it's status,, completed, still in progress, a good protected anchor?? Thanks
Check out my post above. That was earlier this year.