lenses and screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Dalby

My lenses and screens on my 1886 Hunter31 are shot, but Beckson does not make these items to the same specifications they did back in 1986. As a result, I am having a hard time locating new lenses and screens for my windows. I need six 5x12 lenses and screens and one 4x14 lense and screen. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Not Beckson, that's why.

Brian: The reason that they are not made to the specs of your frames is because they are Bomar/Gray ports. Try this (www.pompanette.com). You can also find these parts through West Marine and BoatUs. I think this will take care of your problem. If your screen frames are NOT broken then you can just rescreen them. Pull the screen off the frame and then get a sharp wood chisel and scrape the frame clean. Get some screen material and lay on a flat board. Trace the outline of the frame on the screen with a sharp knife. Then put some glue on the frame (I use the velcro glue) and place the screen on the frame. Let dry and you are ready to replace. I am still using the original screens from our '85 H'31. I have probably done this 3-4 times over the years. Buy beer with the money you saved.

P

Paul Akers

I saved $$$...

...by buying a port through Boat/US special orders desk. The port I bought this year was 25% cheaper than buying direct from Pompanette.

K

Ken Palmer

Clean your lenses first

You might try cleaning and polishing before replacing. I did that on my 1981 H33 with wonderful results. I have a before/after photo posted on the photo forum at http://www.c-2.com/upload/display.tpl?folder=Palmer73062553069&fno=17 I hope that cut and paste works for you. If not, search for "ports" under the photo forum. Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty

E

Ed Schenck

All the below and...

to summarize. Called Pompanette(603- 826-5791) and got the part numbers for my 5x12 and 7x14 port screens. Called BoatUS(as suggested by Pompanette) with part numbers and ordered replacements and spares. Exact fit. My originals say "Gray" right on the frame.

R

Rene Schmidt

Pretty good testimonial...

This is pretty impressive that screens would last this loong from an 1886 Hunter. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.