Length over all

Aug 27, 2012
Hunter 1990 Hunter 35.5 Toronto
Does LOA include the ladder when down and the roller bow sprit for the anchor chain?
some yacht clubs have maximum length that they allow to bring in the new boat
Thanks in advance

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
When the "dockmaster" at the marina measures it includes everything such that my 32' boat measures out to 33'9" by them, the published LOA for my boat is 32'5".

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A couple of years ago, our marina started measuring a real "overall" length in the slip, not the stated design numbers.. They'd been using design numbers since the 1950's when the place opened.. So for my 34, I pay for a 36'slip.. The bow pulpit is the main offender; we measured using a plumb bob line just touching the extremities.. Boats with bow sprits (unless retractable) are paying a lot for that stick.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Does LOA include the ladder when down and the roller bow sprit for the anchor chain?
some yacht clubs have maximum length that they allow to bring in the new boat
Thanks in advance
The short answer is yes, generally. The longer answer is that it might depend on whether or not you’re on a side-tie versus in a slip. Dock (side-tie) space is sometimes marked off as to the amount of it the boat physically actually occupies, etc. If there is 40 ft of linear space available, the boat—ALL of it— has to fit in it, etc. A slip might be more “forgiving” with respect to a little extra sticking out the back.

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The dock master's measurement can include everything connected to the boat from the tip of the anchor (sometimes just the anchor roller) to whatever is attached to the stern (davits w/ a dingy hanging off).

Your published LOA can sometimes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Usually it's from the tip of a original equipment anchor roller (or fixed bow sprit) to aft-most hull projection.

If you check into a marina while on the road, usually they just "ask" you what your length is if you're in a slip. If you're against a dock where multiple boats are, they can get into the issue of your "effective" length because they are lining boats up. (If you had a dingy hanging out behind the boat, it has an impact on what boats they cant get lined-up on the dock.)

As others have said, the marina's usually charge permanent slip holders by the "rated" length of the slip. (e.g., if you rent a slip that is nominally 50' x 14' wide; and, your boat is 40', then you may just pay for the 50' slip.) Sometimes they'll restrict or "ding" you if you had a 55' boat in the above example -- and you "stuck-out" beyond the outermost pile or finger pier.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yep, marinas will generally (if not always) measure your boat from the bow (what ever sticks out the furthest, anchor, light, pulpit, whatever) to the stern (davits, outboard up and out of the water, solar panels, anything). That is "their" LOA. The manufacture LOA is really a meaningless number, but still something to gauge what the LOA is at minimum.

On my Lancer 27, the manufacture LOA is 26' 9". The measured length from bow pulpit to outboard lifted and out of water 31' 8". So I get charged for a 30' boat. My dockmaster is very generous to me. LOL

Aug 27, 2012
Hunter 1990 Hunter 35.5 Toronto
I guess what I was really wondering is, is the MFG measuring from edge to edge of the fibreglass or are they measuring with the ladder down and the anchor roller sticking out. Neither of those pieces have been altered it came like this from the factory

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
In my case it is measure form the tip of the bow (no pulpit) to the edge of the swim step on the stern. No other attachments. My guess would be other boats are the same.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Most marinas around our area measure from whatever bow appendage to whatever stern appendage for overall length. Appendages include dinghy, push/pulpit, davit, anchor, anchor roller, outboard, winches, wenches, sprits, ladders, steps, etc., etc., etc. whatever overall length the boat consumes within the slip. Slip fees are based upon boat length or slip length, whichever is greater. Overhang allowance varies by marina, but usually around 16" - 24" depending upon slip layout. Our boat measures 43' (after much discussion and deliberation with marina staff) in a 40' open slip, but the pile/bracket that secures the slip end adds another 20" to the actual slip length. Marinas becoming stricter on that allowance due to abuse/contact damage due to overhang. Several experiences over the years on this topic to some consternation.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Around here there are currently enough summer slips available but winter outside storage is very tight. This is due to continuous ocean side condo construction. In most cases we end up paying for slip length or measured boat length whichever is greater. Measured boat length would include all attachments. Most moored boats seek outside land storage for the winter typically with haul out and launch facilities. The lack of available waterside land is causing a price surge in boat ownership for anything that is not trailerable. Condo construction may eat your marina land while leaving the docks. Then what?