leeward pronunciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
So...I just learned that when leeward is used as a nautical term it is pronounced looward.

How many of you knew that?

How many of you say that?

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
You wouldn't know it to read it, but I heard it before I read it, so I knew.

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
So...I just learned that when leeward is used as a nautical term it is pronounced looward.

I knew it and say it that way. Also, "gunwale" is pronounced "gunnel."

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
And "gunnel" isn't spelled that way...

It's "gunwale."

F'csle is Forecastle

And some defintions you may not have heard before:[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Amidships - condition of being surrounded by boats.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Anchor - a device designed to bring up mud samples from the bottom at inopportune or unexpected times.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Anchor Light - a small light used to discharge the battery before daylight.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Berth - a little addition to the crew.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Boom - sometimes the result of a surprise jibe.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bottom Paint - what you get when the cockpit seats are freshly painted.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chart - a type of map which tells you exactly where you are aground.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Clew - an indication from the skipper as to what he might do next.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Companionway - a double berth.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Dead Reckoning - a course leading directly to a reef.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Deadrise - getting up to check the anchor at 0300.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Deviation - any departure from the Captain's orders.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Dinghy - the sound of the ship's bell.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Displacement - when you dock your boat and can't find it later.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Estimated Position - a place you have marked on the chart where you are sure you are not.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] First Mate - crew member necessary for skippers to practice shouting instructions to.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Freeboard - food and liquor supplied by the owner.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Heave-Ho - what you do when you've eaten too much Ho.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Jibe - either you like it or you don't and it gets you.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Keel - term used by 1st mate after too much heel by skipper.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Landlubber - anyone on board who wishes he/she were not.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Latitude - the number of degrees off course allowed a guest.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Mast - religious ritual used before setting sail.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Mizzen - an object you can't find.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Ram - an intricate docking maneuver sometimes used by experienced skippers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Rhumb Line - two or more crew members waiting for a drink.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Sheet - cool, damp, salty night covering.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Shroud - equipment used in connection with a wake.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Starboard - special board used by skippers for navigation (usually with "Port" on the opposite side.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Swell - a wave that's just great.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Square Rigger - a rigger over 30[/FONT]

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
well, eyes be from the grate state of OH-higha and we's don't do any ah that there funny talkin. we's talks plane like.

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
Heave-to - the amount of food to be eaten to arrive at Heave Ho.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego

Most of us learned the word phonetically... hearing it during our first sailing experiences.... before actually seeing the word in print. So the truth is.. we had more trouble SPELLING it before than we did pronouncing it.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Yes like "My wife lured me into to marrying her" or would that be "My wife leeward me into marrying her."

Nope, like Jimmy Buffet said "It was my own damn fault".<g>

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
I wonder if sailing terms are general pronounced in unusual ways because sailing in the US, started in the North East? (Where they talk funny) :)

If a leeward is pronounced Loo-ward.. it the lee-shore pronounced "loo-shore?"

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
I pronounce nautical terms like they are spelled and leeward is lee-ward not looward and mainsail is main sail not main-sul or sol same as headsail, it is head sail not hedsol or sul. Many of the pronounciations come from a few hundred years back when sailors could not read or spell (uneducated) and were somewhat drunk so could not speak right. Words got twisted around and they were never corrected so to this day many pronounciations are from a lack of correction. Some people think it is cool or seamanship like to speak bullhunk.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
I pronounce nautical terms like they are spelled and leeward is lee-ward not looward and mainsail is main sail not main-sul or sol same as headsail, it is head sail not hedsol or sul. Many of the pronounciations come from a few hundred years back when sailors could not read or spell (uneducated) and were somewhat drunk so could not speak right. Words got twisted around and they were never corrected so to this day many pronounciations are from a lack of correction. Some people think it is cool or seamanship like to speak bullhunk.
Excellent explanation. All industries have their own vocabulary and culture, and sailing is an old industry. I'm learning the culture and in fact don't mind the antiquated, and yes, uneducated terminology. Frankly, I'm surprised sailing is not flooded with three letter abbreviations like every other human endeavour seems to be these days. I like it.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Though I studied Shakespeare in school, I'm disinclined to speak that way. In general, it sounds silly, with a very few exceptions. I understand it perfectly well when spoken.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Many of the funny sounding and funny pronounced nautical terms are from Dutch and German and are 'anglicized' forms of the Dutch / Deutsch.

Leeward and Windward are derived from the old edutch/deutsch pronunciation .... Ljuard /ˈljuːərd/ and Winard /ˈwɪn:ərd/

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Ken,

In Ohio we just say "Duh!" when faced with a question like this. :) It's got to be a slow forum day.

JerryA

May 20, 2004
C&C 26 Ghost Lake, Alberta
What about "lieutenant"
Most of you guys say it as it's spelt 'cause your colonials:)
I say "leftenant" 'cause I'm a Brit and know how to speak the language!
sam :)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sorry, Cap'n, but that is the biggest bunch of malarky I've ever heard. A real Captain would never disrespect the traditions of the Navy and Merchant Marine.

Sep 24, 2006
Sabre 36 Express Chattanooga, TN
Our english language is full of illogical spellings and pronunciations. A book is "read" outloud, not "red" outloud. Do you tell people you are going to "Connecticutt." Then they will really think you are an idiot. There are thousands of them. So should we revolt like Capt. Kermie and develop our own "fixes" to make life simpler? I'm with the other posters that think the lore of nautical terminology is one of the beauties and fascinations of the sea and boats. Some things are worth learning.

If we are going to revolt for something that really would make life simpler, why don't we throw away inches, feet, and yards and adopt the metric system. Then your MacGregor 26 would be a MacGregor 7.9 and all your navagational calculations would be infinitely easier! :dance:

Feb 24, 2006
- - Toronto/Annapolis
Never mind that Kermie is a troglodyte, if you can navigate with kilometres you are in a book by yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.