Leaving the dock with an outboard motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Timo, WOW! that's very nice, well sorted. Can I hire you to do my electricals (jk)? I can't believe that the brown lamp cord is OEM. I thought the last person that owned the boat put that in.
I have my winter project cut out for me.
Thanks.
LOL! I think EVERYBODY's boat of similar vintage comes with an electrical system done by Rube Goldberg. Mine was trash. :eek:

In the book Fix It and Sail, Brian Gilbert restores a similar MacGregor and does a pretty fair job of explaining the ins-and-outs of wiring, along with everything else. I've found it valuable, and you might, too.

I started a month-long vacation on May second, and have been doing what I can to get mine in the water by Memorial Day; but I might not make it now. Ordered a bunch of supplies from West Marine on Oahu, and some of the hazardous stuff has to travel by barge to the Big Island, so that's going to delay things a bit. Trying to do what I can to other areas of the boat until the 105-206 arrives.

I'd be using PBS (Pensacola Boat Store) as their prices on West Systems products (and just about everything else) are much lower than West Marine; but the shipping costs to Hawaii is the hangup for me. Might work for you, though. Here's their URL:

http://www.pbsboatstore.com/

Lately I bought the stainless fittings and tubing to make an aft safety rail; and the other night I won four stainless lifeline stanchions on eBay at a fair price. I'll make and install that stuff later.

Meanwhile, I worked on the pop-top today. Just the new stainless nuts and bolts was $26 at Ace Hardware!!!. Today I got about halfway through repairing a couple small cracks in the top sliding companionway lid, too.

Have to R&R my motor mount and rudder gudgeons with new hardware; and rebed a couple cleats. That's next.

Once the epoxy arrives from West Marine, I will hustle to finish my blister repair, and apply the epoxy barrier coat and ablative bottom paint I (fortunately) already have sitting in the shop. Once that's done she's about ready for a daytime shakedown sail.

I still haven't given up on having her in the water by the end of the month; but if I fall short of that goal, it won't be too bad. I'm retiring in September and then I'll have all the time I want to work on the boat.

Anyway...film at eleven. Best of luck with your project, and by all means, TAKE PICTURES!!! :)

VBR,

Pat

Apr 12, 2011
MacGregor Venture 22 Dana Point, CA.
Just as an update to everyone. I bought a 1989 Yamaha 9.9 four stroke for $500.00.
The motor looks new with very little run time. The OB was sitting on the back of a boat with just the very tip below the prop sitting in the water and has a lot of corrosion. The Prop even looks brand new. The great thing about this motor is that is has a tiller lock and electric start. I am having a seasonal tune up right now and will install it this weekend. BTW: I have a 1989 Evinrude 6HP 2 Stroke that I will let go cheap with one metal can and one plastic gas can. Thanks for everyone's help.

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Wow, Robin, I was just looking at the pics in your album and your 78 Mac 22 seems exactly like mine in just about every way. (Not paint, etc.; but in the way she's configured, fittings, and the like.)

I notice you have that stainless tube fitting on the starboard foredeck, about 2:eek:clock from the v-berth hatch. Yours seems to have some kind of fork fitting in it. On my boat, there's just the tube mounted to the deck, no fork fitting, and I'm darned if I can figure out what it's for.

Others have given me some clues, but what do you think that fitting is for?

VBR,

Pat

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
It is a support post for the mast while in storage or trailering. I and most others who have a pulpit, now rest the mast there while trailering

Apr 12, 2011
LOL! I think EVERYBODY's boat of similar vintage comes with an electrical system done by Rube Goldberg. Mine was trash. :eek:

In the book Fix It and Sail, Brian Gilbert restores a similar MacGregor and does a pretty fair job of explaining the ins-and-outs of wiring, along .with everything else. I've found it valuable, and you might, too.
Thanks for the book infor, I'll see if I can find it on Amazon.

I started a month-long vacation on May second, and have been doing what I can to get mine in the water by Memorial Day; but I might not make it now. Ordered a bunch of supplies from West Marine on Oahu, and some of the hazardous stuff has to travel by barge to the Big Island, so that's going to delay things a bit. Trying to do what I can to other areas of the boat until the 105-206 arrives.

I'd be using PBS (Pensacola Boat Store) as their prices on West Systems products (and just about everything else) are much lower than West Marine; but the shipping costs to Hawaii is the hangup for me. Might work for you, though. Here's their URL:

http://www.pbsboatstore.com/ I'll check them out. By now I'm an investor in West Marine LOL.

Lately I bought the stainless fittings and tubing to make an aft safety rail; and the other night I won four stainless lifeline stanchions on eBay at a fair price. I'll make and install that stuff later.
I'd really like to see what you come up with. I may call a local sailboat salvage and see if they have a stern pulpit for a Catalina 22 at a resonable price. Dagnabit! your the one that out bid me on E-bay....back to salvage. LOL.
Meanwhile, I worked on the pop-top today. Just the new stainless nuts and bolts was $26 at Ace Hardware!!!. Today I got about halfway through repairing a couple small cracks in the top sliding companionway lid, too.

Have to R&R my motor mount and rudder gudgeons with new hardware; and rebed a couple cleats. That's next.

Once the epoxy arrives from West Marine, I will hustle to finish my blister repair, and apply the epoxy barrier coat and ablative bottom paint I (fortunately) already have sitting in the shop. Once that's done she's about ready for a daytime shakedown sail.

I still haven't given up on having her in the water by the end of the month; but if I fall short of that goal, it won't be too bad. I'm retiring in September and then I'll have all the time I want to work on the boat.

Anyway...film at eleven. Best of luck with your project, and by all means, TAKE PICTURES!!! :)

VBR,

Pat
Thanks very much for your help, Pat. I'm picking up the new OB today and will be cleaning up the corosion below the prop this weekend (marine bondo and paint). Hopefull, I can get it on the boat and have the battery wired on Sunday. Happy Sails.

Oct 24, 2008
Macgregor 25 (1984) Wildomar, So. Cal.
Does anyone know if the stern rail for a Mac 25 will work on an older 22? If so, I may have what you need, Robin.
BTW, if you're in Newport, doesn't Minney's have something close to what you're looking for?

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
It should, the cockpit of Frank's 25 seemed almost identical to my 22, measure how far apart the uprights are.

Oct 24, 2008
It should, the cockpit of Frank's 25 seemed almost identical to my 22, measure how far apart the uprights are.
I'll plan on doing that in the next day or so. I'll also set it up next to the one on my 22 and note any differences. Thanks!:D

Apr 12, 2011
I'll plan on doing that in the next day or so. I'll also set it up next to the one on my 22 and note any differences. Thanks!:D
MrMikey64, yeah, if it fits, I'd love to take it off your hands. I went to Minney's for the first time this weekend. Couldn't find the stern railing I was looking for, but I did find some life line stanchions for on top of the cabin that were priced at $30.00 a piece. I thought this was a good deal.
Happy Sails. Robin.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Hey Robin we may be in your neck of the ocean for Memorial Day weekend. Talked to Timo42 tonight and he may come down for two days. He'll likely launch out of San Pedro.
We'll see if others want to join in.
Frank

Oct 24, 2008
MrMikey64, yeah, if it fits, I'd love to take it off your hands. I went to Minney's for the first time this weekend. Couldn't find the stern railing I was looking for, but I did find some life line stanchions for on top of the cabin that were priced at $30.00 a piece. I thought this was a good deal.
Happy Sails. Robin.
After a few delays I was finally able to find the time to address this issue. This is what I discovered:
(1) The stern rail I have from the 25 (1981) is different in style from the one on the 22 (1985). I do not know if all the older boats had this style. If not, I might deduce that the stern rail came from another vessel.
(2) The rails are the same height, but vary slightly in width.
The pics tell the story. The railing seems flexible enough that the posts could be moved in slightly and attached.

Attachments

Apr 12, 2011
After a few delays I was finally able to find the time to address this issue. This is what I discovered:
(1) The stern rail I have from the 25 (1981) is different in style from the one on the 22 (1985). I do not know if all the older boats had this style. If not, I might deduce that the stern rail came from another vessel.
The pics tell the story. The railing seems flexible enough that the posts could be moved in slightly and attached.
It does look like it could be adjusted to fit. What are you looking to get for it? Go ahead and e-mail me at RDFlores@cox.net Thanks Mike.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Robin,Check out my post EZ steer this site forum.Connected tiller to outboard.Works great.

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey

Looks identical to the rail on my 77, even comes with reinforcements. :D

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Okay, I said I'd get back to you guys about this aft rail thing. Now that the dust has settled in my little backyard boatyard....

I got everything I need to build a custom aft stern rail assembly, plus four lifeline stanchions with reinforcements.

Bought numerous Atwood stainless rail fittings on eBay: about $200.

Got 4 lifeline stanchions on eBay: $61.

Bought the tubing locally: $84.

Shopped around on eBay and made sure I got the best prices on the fittings and shipping; but still, the shipping on all those little bits was about $60. (That's life in "paradise".) :eek:

So basically, I've got about $345 in the aft railing assembly and cabin lifeline stanchions; about $400 when you figure in shipping. And that's not counting the stainless hardware to mount it.

But, it's a custom design so it will have some nice features, like a transom "gate" so I don't have to climb over the rail when entering the boat from the water. :)

Finally got my West Marine Epoxy from Oahu. Ouch! :eek:

Also got a 16.5# Lewmar claw anchor and a new 200' rode with 20' chain and shackle. Still haven't decided on a roller yet. :snooty:

But I bought a fid so I can start making eylets in the ends of lines. :)

And, oh yeah, and I got a 5-step (48" extended) folding boarding ladder for the transom. It's kinda nice! :dance:

They opened a new boat supply place not far from my home :dance: so I bought my Interlux Brightside paint for above the waterline. (Going with epoxy barrier coat and ablative paint down low, but I'd already brought that in from the mainland months ago.)

Then, there's all the stuff I bought already for the interior, electrical system, etc. The beat goes on.

Anyway, still working on it, but I have the majority of things I'll need and the expense so far really doesn't hurt that bad. :D

I won't be wet on Memorial Day, but I sure hope you guys will be! :dance:

VBR,

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.