Leaks in cabin

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
After a big storm in 2007 I had some leaks in the areas shown in the attached pictures.

There were just a few drops at the location show in the yellow circle.

There was about 1/4" of water in the side pocket behind the seat.

Solution.....On all port and starboard chain plates
I used silicone, to seal all around chain plates and screws......hasn't leaked since.

Suggetion....Don't use silicone anywhere on the outside of boat unless
last resort.

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Paul,

You sealed from the outside as it looks as this is the only proper side to seal leaks from correct? Did you take up the chain plates or just put a bead around and then one by one remove and replace the screws? My boat had a bad Chain Plate leak with the PO but they said it was fixed, and I have found on drips from that area, not sure where my water is coming from?

Take a look at the amunt of water under the seat and the damage to the wood in front of the sink?

Russ

Attachments

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Need to find where it is leaking first. Then I can tape. By the way, how do you get the tape around (as I thought you would make a gasket of sort from the tape) that stud in the stanchion?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Paul,

You sealed from the outside as it looks as this is the only proper side to seal leaks from correct? Did you take up the chain plates or just put a bead around and then one by one remove and replace the screws? My boat had a bad Chain Plate leak with the PO but they said it was fixed, and I have found on drips from that area, not sure where my water is coming from?

Take a look at the amunt of water under the seat and the damage to the wood in front of the sink?

Russ

You sealed from the outside as it looks as this is the only proper side to seal leaks from correct?

Yes

just put a bead around and then one by one remove and replace the screws.

Yes

paulj :troll:

Jul 16, 2006
-Catalina C310 RNSYS
Ahoy New Horizons:

I contacted MaineSail and purchased the butyl tape that has been discussed earlier. It is also known as denzo tape in other industries. The product supplied by MaineSail is very good for bedding your fittings, etc. You should google MaineSail for the information.

See Witzend's hyperlink for the purchasing details. I have used it on several fittings this year with excellent results.

Regards,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.