Leaks in 1986 Catalina 30 MK1

Sep 29, 2018
Catalina 30 Annapolis
I am close to purchasing a 1986 Catalina 30 MK1, which has a few unresolved leaks. Research on this site helped me identify water in the bilge coming from a cracked 45 degree elbow on a cockpit drain.

Those that I haven't figured out... 1) water coming down behind the main bulkhead and out the bottom of the the bulkhead, forward of the bilge. 2) I have found 3+ inches of water in the forward compartment, below the v-berth, on two different occasions having pumped it dry in between and I have seen it dry for a few days on another occasion. Observed hull out of water and appeared sound. There is one slow-weeping through hull, but I don't believe enough to cause this much water. I sprayed a hose heavily on top of the v-berth hatch seal (seal in very good condition) and anchor locker for 10 min and no leaks except a slight drip from a bow pulpit bolt. No leaks from water tank beneath v-berth, nor fill plate, nor head. On one occasion, I did find water above and on the v-berth, but after the rain had already stopped. 3) On a few occasions there has been a puddle of water on the galley sole, near the stove. The area below the companionway is noticeably water-stained. I have seen this on other boats in my search.

Any guidance on helping me identify the source of these leaks would be greatly appreciated.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Suspect any deck fixtures, like stanchions, pulpits, anchor rollers, etc. they mat need rebedding. Inspect deck/hull joint and weather stripping.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Catalinas from that era are well known to have deck leaks. As Benny says, plan on properly re-bedding all penetrations into the deck, especially the stanchions and chainplates. Make sure you check the deck for moisture/delamination before completing the purchase. The leak near the galley sounds like it might be from the fixed window - examine the seal between the lexan and the cabin top. There are various methods for tracing leaks back to their source - you can use paper towels, the blue chalk used in chalk lines, water soluble magic markers etc. along the paths - any water that passes will be obvious.

Feb 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII Pasadena, MD
I had the issue with the puddle on the galley sole near the oven and sink. In my case it came from two areas. The obvious one was the companion way, wind driven water comes in when the wind is hitting the companionway slats. Since Catalina 30's tend to list to the port side the water would pool near the oven and sink. The not so obvious one was from the stanchion that is midway off the port salon shelf. Water would drip behind the wood paneling of the two shelves down to the bottom self and go back towards the galley behind the oven, then under the oven and then to the sole. Paper towels helped by finding and trace the water flow.