Leaking shroud connection

Sep 7, 2009
O'Day 1987 272Le Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park Portersville,Pa.
I own a 1987 O'Day 272LE. I noticed the boat interior bulkhead has been beefed up where the shroud connection comes thru the hull. Has there been a problem in this area?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Pictures ?

hard to tell if it was a repair job, or beefed up at time of construction.

does it look like a retrofit?

Greg

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I own a 1987 O'Day 272LE. I noticed the boat interior bulkhead has been beefed up where the shroud connection comes thru the hull. Has there been a problem in this area?
Probably. Any boat of that age with a similar setup could have a problem there.

Dec 5, 2015
Oday 272LE Louisville, KY
I have a 272LE. The chainplate area is a problem in numerous boats. The original construction is a teak plywood bulkhead with the stainless steel chainplate on a teak block and bolted thru the bulkhead. If water intruded from above, then the teak bulkhead may have deteriorated. Many 272 and other make owners have added reinforcement plates of plywood, stainless steel, or in my case 1/4" thick G10 material plates on each side of the bulkhead (thru bolted with stainless steel bolts) rather than replacing the whole teak bulkhead. I preferred the G10 material (available on eBay) to plywood because it is impervious to water, extremely strong, and is easier to work with than stainless steel plates which are difficult to drill. I removed 1/4" of the thick teak blocks on each side of the boat so that the chainplate would remain in the same place as before. If your bulkhead was repaired with plywood, make sure that it was coated with epoxy to resist water intrusion. Check to see if your stainless steel deck fitting has been rebedded with butyl tape rather than another type of sealant and the problem should have been solved.

Sep 7, 2009
O'Day 1987 272Le Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park Portersville,Pa.
Thanks for your help. I'll check the connection inside.