Leaking ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

I have an offer in right now on a '87 36. Since the owner has had problems with leaks in the large aft ports on the starboard side in the past, he has decided to replace these ports. He is using LEXAN -- 1/4", I believe. He has cracked two pieces during installation as he screws them down. Is this a bedding, or gasket, or material problem or just bad luck? Anyone else have problems with leaks at the large ports and difficulties with replacement? Thanks!

R

R. Palaia

When drilling into lexan...

to make holes for the screws, you can't use a regular drill bit. You need to use a special bit with a pointier end. If you use a regular bit, you will blow through the other side and create internal stresses, which may be the reason it is cracking upon intallation. The pointy bit makes a clean hole all the way through. Also, maybe the cracking is because he was screwing it down too tight. Just a thought. Roc

G

Gary Jensen

Lexan drilling

Last year I installed a LEXAN forward hatch. I was warned early on to drill very slowly else it could crack. I drilled (using an ordinary steel bit)about 30 holes slowly and had great results. I let the variable speed drill do the work. I used minimal pressure (5 pounds). Last week I was drilling a scrap piece of LEXAN and increased the speed and pressure----it cracked...Hope this helps!

G

gary

drill bit

You need to drill slow and put a back angle on the drill bit to keep it from digging in. You are making the bit dull. This is done for copper and brass all the time. Gary and Loretta gldaniels@provide.net

Status
Not open for further replies.