Leaking oil

Jul 6, 2010
Catalina 30 Bainbridge Island, WA
Somehow oil from engine is leaking into the bilge. What to check first?
Thanks

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Is your oil filter sufficiently tight? Have you checked around your water pump seal to the engine? Could you have any loose bolts on the oil pan? What about the valve cover?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Is your oil filter sufficiently tight? Have you checked around your water pump seal to the engine? Could you have any loose bolts on the oil pan? What about the valve cover?
Does it leak when the engine is running? Might point to the oil pressure sensor. Should check anyway.

sgiarc

Feb 12, 2019
beneteau 461 port colborne
Don't forget to check your dipstick and your oil filler cap

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
And the oil removal hose on the starboard side of the engine aft of the dipstick.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Lots of good suggestions. I had an elusive leak I had to resort to dye and a black light. It works great and not too pricy.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
What to check first?
Doesn't really matter what you check first, check things until you find it. :)

1. First, how much oil? I know it may be hard to estimate if it's in the bilge; do you notice a drop in oil level on the dipstick? If so, how much?

2. Get a strong light and start looking, as critically as possible. If the engine is dirty and oily, and the paint is peeling, this will be more difficult. I once had a mystery leak, so I cleaned the engine really well, with a degreaser and lots of water (being careful to contain and capture the oily water), and once it was sparkling clean, after running for a bit the source of the leak was obvious.

3. Les' suggestion of a UV dye and light is a good one, for a really sneaky leak.

Jul 6, 2010
Catalina 30 Bainbridge Island, WA
Many thanks to everyone who replied so quickly with great ideas. I'll create a list of your ideas and start checking. Will get the engine clean first so I can spot a leak.
Thanks for your time,
Tom

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
This isn't so much a specific place to look, as a general strategy for leaks. First identify whether it is happening only when your oil is being pumped around (engine running) or just leaking all the time. Same strategy for water leaks as well. Then if the leak is gravity powered, assume liquids travel almost exclusively downhill... so examine every little bit to find the "highest" oily spot... ignore low stuff that has oil above it... In some ways oil is worse than water (it is messier, and harder to just "dry off") when finding the source... but in other ways it is better since water evaporates quickly so you can't always follow the trail above a puddle to its source, whereas a trail of oil stays.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
If the pan beneath your engine is clean enough (may not matter), put a new oil absorbent pad beneath the engine, and see where the new spots appear. If you've recently performed an oil change, check the filter tightness. Was there a spill either draining or refilling? If so, there might not be a leak, just the residual from the spill. Also, don't ignore the possibility that the source could be your transmission, or that it might be diesel fuel (if all you are seeing is a sheen on water).

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
My recent experience was a leak around the water pump shaft. The shaft had obvious wear rings, so I replaced the shaft and the seal. That did the job.
Since it’s a 1982 vintage, I think it had a reasonable service life.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Depending on your engine manufacturer...

You may get oil back flow through you Air intake, on a cold start.o_O

Will get the engine clean first
Wow that should give you a big clue for the spot.
Jim...

PS: Send pictures before cleaning. It is a forensic "crime scene".;)