Leaking at Centerboard Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Les

I have a 19' foot Mariner. There is a slow leak in the cabin at the big bolt holding the Centerboard. Whats the best way to stop the leak, and how tight should the bolt be. Thanks for any help. Les

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

leaky bolt

Les - My daysailer leaked through the centerboard bolt too. Sealing it is not simply a question of tightening it up. There should be a gasket in there to do the job. My boat had lost its gasket at some time long before I got it, but I was able to make a new one from a mouse pad. Failing that, look up Stuart Marine in Rockport, Maine - they may be able to give you a factory seal. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

R

R.W.Landau

Simple repair

Les, I Repaired one about a month ago. If you have it on the trailer, block the keel to eliminate some pressure on the bolt. This can be done with 2x4's and shims. Loosen the bolt, leaving the nut on the very end of the bolt. Hammer the nut to drive the bolt so that you can scrape out all the old crap on both sides. Thier should be the bolt head, then a washer then the center board housing the board the housing a washer and the nut. You will notice that between the washer and the centerboard housing the the fiberglass is concave from the outside diameter of the washer to the bolt. This is true on both sides, between the washer and housing. Remove everything but what is described above. Apply a Life caulk in a heavy bead around the bolt in the concave portion of the fiberglass housing. Tighten the bolt and let it cure. This will last with no problem. Good luck r.w.landau

S

Steve "Wild Rumpas"

Please Clarify

To R.W. Landua My centerboard gasket is also leaking. Your repair sounds pretty quick and easy although I am confused by your line "remove everything but what I've described above" I basicly want to remove all the old gasket material, correct? Is there something under that washer that I shouldn't remove? What type of caulk do you recomend? Thanks....

R

R.W.Landau

just bolt and washers

Steve, I would loosen everything and scrape the centerboard housing first. Verify that yours has that concave area. If it does remove everything but the bolt washers and fiberglass. Make sure you allow enough time for the Life Caulk to cure. r.w.landau

S

Steve "wild rumpas"

...time will tell...

...upon further review, one of my rubber gaskets was shot!!!!! Its no wonder I was taking on water. I got two large rubber washers at my local hardware store as well as a tube of Life caulk. Between the two items I'm hoping the cabin will be dry. (my sail on Saturday lasted 1 1/2 hrs. and I took on a 1/2 pail of water) Its a little un-nerving. To R.W.L. and Justin: Thanks for the info!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.