Leak from plexiglass port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
I have a leak from the starboard port over the galley. On Saturday I washed the boat and came down below to find a flood on the countertop. It is not from the opening port. The forward edge of the plexiglass is loose from the cabin top. And since there must be a slight curve to the cabin top at that point the plexiglass lifts away from the fiberglass exposing a slight gap about five inches long.

I wasn’t sure if it made sense to try to just fix where it leaks or to take the whole plexiglass panel out and re bond the whole thing. I would rather wait until the end of the season to do that, but I may have no choice.

Has anyone else had this problem and any ideas for a fix?

curlew

Mar 12, 2011
catalina 310 charlottes cove tasmania
Hi
New Horizons,I had two windows leaking and pulling away from the cabin sides. I asked catalina about the problem and they sent a detailed reply which I have attached. Unfortunately they use a dow corning silicon sealer and this is the problem . However because its not an adhesive it will make it easy to remove the window with out breaking it. just be very gentle. I used Sikaflex 295 sealant which is an adhesive as well and designed to work with poly carbonates. I used Sika remova 208 to clean up.
its not an easy job to clean up but if you are dilligent and use heaps of masking tape inside and out where you don,t want the Sika then you should be fine. Its easier with two people. I rested two pieces of wood against the window on the outside and against the gunwhale lip to support the window while the Sika set. I put small weights on the wood as well.
You could use acetone to clean the gel coat but not on the window and do not use metholated spirits with Sika as it will not dry.
Hope this helps. By the way could you advise what size chain your using to anchor,
Cheers Curlew

Attachments

Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
Curlew, thanks so much for your detailed response. I was going to contact Catalina, but you saved me the effort.

For you question on anchoring, I bought a 22lb (10 kg) Rocna over the winter. (on the advice of Paul J and others on this web page) I am using 16 feet of 3/8" chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.