Lazy Jacks

Jan 27, 2015
S2 8.0 Door County, WI
Since I solo sail much of the time and have the most difficulty when raising or lowering the main, I am thinking about installing lazy jacks. Research indicates that Harken and Schaefer offer kits for small boats (I have an 8.0) and it appears Schaefer's kit is the better of the two. Any thoughts on these kits or lazy jacks in general?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Look at the BeneteauOwners forum, Jan 9th, is a discussion about lazy jacks.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It has been my experience that even though Lazy Jacks do help when lowering the sail they significantly interfere when raising it. They require that the boat points really straight into the wind so that the sail can be raised up the narrow gap without the sail battens getting stuck. It is hard to keep the boat properly pointed when doing it solo. They also require adjustments depending on point of sail and when departing or arriving. It is really a necessity when you have to wrestle a heavy mainsail but I do not think they are necessary or even significantly helpful generally in boats under 30'. Now to lessen the problem when raising the sail you could get Lazy Jacks that can be dropped by the use of small blocks and at the same time permit the use of a regular sail cover without modifications.

Jan 27, 2015
S2 8.0 Door County, WI
As far as the main sail cover, that is why the Schaefer kit looks better as the way it is rigged (under the boom) sail cover oes not need to be modified. I can't quite picture what a lazy jack system that can be dropped looks like, although I follow the concept.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Forum member Claude Auger has such a set up on his boat.. basically, the top point is a block instead of a fixed point.. the line leads down to a cleat.. After the sail is down and tied, the lazy jack upper lines are slacked until the upper line is on the mast and the lower lines are (secured) alongside the boom. Now the jack lines are stowed in place and an un-modified cover can cover the sail and the lower sections of the lazy jacks.
Claude posted the diagram a while back but I can't seem to locate it.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
You can buy a set or you can build it yourself. There are many places that provide advice on how to do that.
The Harken kit is a bit overpriced. I have seen kits for 28-36 ft boats at around $200-220. You can probably build one yourself for 1/2 to 3/4 of that price.

Btw. don't skimp on blocks. Some might advise to use rings; I would not - there would be extra drag on the lines and the lines would not last that long.

Btw 2. Measure and calculate and recalculate the length of the line needed. Generally, you will need much more than you think. you will need probably 75 ft. for two-legged jacks and closer to 100-150 for three- or four-legged ones.

Btw 3. There are many ways of getting the lazy jacks out of the way (bungees, cleats etc.)

Btw 4. If you can, install the top of the lazy jacks off the mast (under the spreaders); this would give you advantage when setting sail.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Also, check out the Ez-Jacks web site. You can either buy their kit or follow their online instruction which basically shows you how to make your own. Nautos also make a reasonably priced kit.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
My lazy jack only deploy for lowering the sail. It's folded on the mast all the time.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
There has been several good articles on DIY lazy jack systems in the sailing magazines (CW, GOB & Sail) over the years, may be a good resource. I agree with Alexco38, install them so they're folded on the mast when not in use.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I do not agree with Btw #4. If the top of the LJ are attached to the mast, you have a very small slot for the sails to drop into. On the boom, you need a slot to allow the main to fold left then right, etc. to flake them. Most, if not all, LJs are spread out at spreader level to make a funnel-like web.

Many people complain that the main does not drop all the way. The lower folds do not fall completely flat- like they would be after you "dress" them down. As the sail drops, the lighter-weight upper portion is not haeavy enough to drop down to pile on the previous folds.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Ron,
this is what my "Btw. 4" was supposed to mean. I meant "off the mast" as opposed to the "on the mast". So to avoid any further confusion, the idea is to attach the lazy jacks to the spreaders, not the mast itself.

Jan 27, 2015
S2 8.0 Door County, WI
Thanks everyone for the feedback. You have given me much to consider. I will review all of your input and proceed accordingly. Thanks again.

Jan 27, 2015
S2 8.0 Door County, WI
Ron,
this is what my "Btw. 4" was supposed to mean. I meant "off the mast" as opposed to the "on the mast". So to avoid any further confusion, the idea is to attach the lazy jacks to the spreaders, not the mast itself.
This makes sense to me. Thanks.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have a two-leg system supported via blocks at the end of lines attached to the mast just below the upper spreader(s); a three-leg system would be better, and I'm going to upgrade it (eventually). The legs to boom can be loosened or tightened. However, tightened, loosened, or, naturally, off the boom it's generally not a problem raising the mainsail b/c it goes up fast (batten cars). It's usually only the upper two battens that tend to foul. On single handing just stow 'em against the mast when covering the main sail. After the main sail is hoisted the next time out find a minute or two to reattach 'em to the boom so you're ready to drop whenever needed, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I am unable to get a visual how this works but it sounds like a good idea. I will research further.
There are alternatives, too:

Lazy Jack Trick

Many folks complain about full battens getting caught up when raising the mainsail. They then spend a lot of time moving BOTH sides of the lazy jacks to the mast.

We developed an easier way with our lazy jacks.

We have a small cleat on the forward starboard side of the boom. When we put the halyard on the headboard, we move ONLY the starboard side of the lazy jacks forward and snug them under the forward side of the horn of this cleat.

Then, when we raise the mainsail, instead of going exactly head to wind, we bear off a tad to starboard so the wind is coming from the port side of the bow.

We then raise the mainsail and it doesn't get hooked on the lazy jacks even though the port side jacks are still there.

Been working for 17 years.

Yes, we have to go forward again to unhook the starboard lazy jack for dousing the sail if I forget to do it right when the main is raised, but there's never any hurry. The drill is: after the main is raised, I unhook that starboard lazy jack, so they're both ready to go when we drop the sails at the end of the day.

So, for those of you with lazy jacks, consider doing only one side.

Your boat, your choice. :)

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
It depends what your issue is. If it is the boom dropping in the cockpit then a boom kicker might be a better option. I have lazy jacks. They are okay. If I were to do it over again I would consider the combined bag/jack system. Stack pak or equivalent.