Latts and Atts photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bill walton

In the new issue of "Latitudes and Attitudes, there is a photo of what appears to be a 380 sitting high and dry on its keel. Is that a fake photo or did someone really allow that to happen?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I saw that

It sure looks real to me. Of course, with Photoshop, you never know anymore...

G

Gary Jensen

High and Dry

Being a 380 owner, I'd like to see a picture of the 380 that you describe as being "high and dry. Can the picure be posted or where can I get ahold of the magazine?....Thanks, Gary

M

Murray Procter

Gary, try Borders

I have seen it at the Batder's store near where I work (Orange,CA). I also subscribe to it and the picture does make you wonder.

P

Paul Bednarzyk

Oops!!!

One of my favorite photos is hanging in the den of one my sailing buds. The photo is of the sun setting under the hull of another friends Catalina 32 after he misread the tide tables for that part of the Gulf Coast of Florida. This was in the days before digital photos and photo software. Ooops!!!! Paul Bednarzyk S/V Knot Again

R

Rick Webb

I saw somthing close to that

Off of Long Beach after a storm a 30' or so boat standing on it's keel right up on the beach. He had run out of gas coming into Long Beach Harbor and was kedging himself off of a sand bar with two anchors when the storm blew in at high tide and dragged him up to the beach when the tide and the sorm were gonethere he was standing striaght up in the air. I wanted to go back and watch himbeing dragged out at high tide but somthing else came up. It must have worked because it was gone the next day and I went and bought an extra gas can, just in case. Not sure I would have beleived it if I had seen the picture and not the real thing.

P

Paul Akers

I saw it twice

The first time about 2 years ago in Boat/US magazine. There were two sailboats rafted together and the tide went down. Both boats were left high and dry and stayed supported upright on their keels because they were rafted. The second time was last year in Great Salt Pond on Block Island (RI). The same thing (two sailboats). They rafted in the anchorage and went ashore. The tide went out and left them in about 3-4 fet of water. They weren't high and dry, but their waterline was down about six inches and they weren't bobbing. The harbormaster was patrolling around the boats and he looked dumbfounded. It was an odd sight.

S

Sean

Ditto

Worst I have seen was in Bimini. A french vessel approximately 50' anchored in two shallow of water for the night, we woke to air horns as she had listed to her port side, tilting on her keel, taking on water. It was impressive to see the other captains throw spare bilge pumbs into their dingy's and go to their aide. They also anchored off the starboard side to keep her from listing any more. I am sure that was more than a little embarassing for the french captain.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
See the photo forum 'No my friends.......happen"

Here is a similar picture of what can happen.

G

Gary Jensen

NOT a 380 its a HUNTER!!!

Quite a photo thats posted in the photo forum (THANKS).....I did notice that its not a Catalina 380, but a Hunter. I wonder what would be the result if a wing keel boat got really stuck like that. Would the keel act as an anchor? and what would be the result if the water kept rising? What would give first? surly something would give before water got too high...

G

Gary Jensen

Not a 380

The boat on the hard is neither a Hunter nor a Catalina 380. I can't tell what size Hunter it is (since I'm not familar with their models)...Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.