Lancer Electrical Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
I am rewiring the 28 right now. I dont need a bigger control panel, as only things i am adding is a VHF, (which will be directly wired to the batteries) and a few LED lights. I am puting in a second battery, and a 30 watt solar panel, but i have the wiring of those things figured out. Only thing i cant figure out, is how many amps the orignal panel can take. I estimate, max their is no more than 20 amp ever being drawn through the panel, but I disovered their is no fuse protection on the panel, and want to fit a breaker to protect the whole panel. Can anyone tell me what the panel is rated for. I looked at the wiring on it, and the main wires are small, their was writing on them, but it didnt say the SWG or AWG, I cant measure it, unless i bare the wire, and measure the copper, which i dont want to do. I want to fit a breaker, i guess it would be about a thirty amp breaker, but would really like to be sure. Does anyone know the capacity of the panel.
My new wiring will be completely different, will have three bus bars in it, a battery one two and both switch (which i am instaling just now) The bilge pump will be taken off the switch panel, and wired direct to the battery bus, with an automatic switch in the bilge, and an inline fuse and switch independent of the main panel. Their will be a few more LED lights wired onto the cabin lights, with their own on off switch, (as the cabin light have) i may in future replace the cabin lights with LED but next spring, i will sail her with the cabin lights she has now, plus a few other LED lights.

May 29, 2009
Lancer 27ps Suisun City
Were I you I'd probably rewire the panel completely being careful to note the amp rating on the switches, buss bars and wiring and be sure what I have. Add up all the stuff you know will be on at the same time, lights, bilge pump, domestic water pump, radios and use that as a basis for wire, buss, and switch ratings and wire for about 1.5 times your total amps. your panel is probably 35 years old and getting a little tired anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.