Lancer 28 mounting a compass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
Where is a good place on the 28 to mount a compass, i dont want to have to use two, one either side of the companion way, only other place i can see to fit it is, just below the companionway, am i missing somwhere else to put it.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If you can't find a good place for you analog compass, you might want to think about a digital compass to either side of the companion way. This way you can see it from either side of the cockpit. I am assuming you have a tiller and not a wheel.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
I didnt think of a digital compass. I will look into it, but it may be above my budget.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
That hardly answers his questions. Most people install a bulkhead compass on either side of the companionway (door to get to the basement). If it is a curved surface, then you might have to make up a block (teak is nice) to accommodate that curve. If flat, then think of where you have to run the compass light to get juice and maybe one side is better than the other with that in mind. You could put it below the companionway, but that is where people will kick it, you cannot see it as easily as when up high on either side of the companionway and because you will be putting a large hole down low in your cockpit, if it ever fills up with water, it will let water into your cabin. One compass should be good enough. You can see it from either rail, if that is your concern. If there is some other thing in the way that is bothering you, then be specific and I can perhaps comment on that.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
Good evening AtlanticAl. Don't know if this suggestion would work for a L28, but I mounted a Plasimo compass on top of my L25s sea hood. That way I can remove and store it out of the sun when I'm not using it and it has good viability from the tiller, no matter what side I on. Steve
That is ideal, i never even knew such a thing existed. I am going to look for one online right now.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
Good evening AtlanticAl. Don't know if this suggestion would work for a L28, but I mounted a Plasimo compass on top of my L25s sea hood. That way I can remove and store it out of the sun when I'm not using it and it has good viability from the tiller, no matter what side I on. Steve
Just found it online, bit more than i wanted to pay, but the fact i dont need to buy two makes cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.