Lancer 28 Boom Vang and Mainsheet setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2009
2 28 Lake City
I purchased a 78 Lancer 28 a couple of years ago. It hadn't been in the water for 12 years. It is missing a bunch of stuff to include the title mentioned items. I am comming back from being deployed overseas and am ready to get the boat in the water. However, I have not found any information on how the mainsheet traveler and car set up should be. The same goes for the Vang. It appears that this boat was set up to have the mainsheet anchored on the step in front of the entrance to the salon. I have seen pictures of it set up on top on the hatch cover hood? (Seems a bit flimsy up there for that) A good close up pic of the set up and attach points would be appreciated.

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
The mainsheet does indeed attach in the center of the companionway and it's a VERY poor location for it. Four-part tackle is used, as the mainsheet tackle is also used to raise and lower the mast...A MUCH better solution would be to build a bridge (traveler support) over the hatch as far aft as possible, anchored to the sides of the cabin. On a cruising / daysailing boat, the need for a mainsheet traveler is debatable and I would just use a center mounting point on the bridge. See if you can find some pictures of a Morgan 28 for ideas..I am still using the original set-up as I have not figured out how to remove the interior upholstry without destroying it..(so I can install backing plates in the cabin sides to support the needed bridge over the sliding hatch)..

Apr 23, 2009
2 28 Lake City
Thanks. I am in the "Same boat" as it were about the bridge over the hatch. I also think that the step location is very poor. I do not know how to remove the headliner without destrying it either. I will continue to look for pics to see if I can find some ideas. Have you asked anyone on the forum for ideas how to remove the head liner with out destrying it?

Apr 23, 2009
2 28 LOS ANGELES HARBOR
Folks, the headliner is just stapled onto furring strips. Take a penknife blade and gently open the seam on the plastic trim strips. Therein lie the staples. If you are careful, you can restaple everything back in place after working on the underside of the deck.

CP

Status
Not open for further replies.