Lake Superior North Shore vs. Lake Huron's North Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2012
Catalina 400 Milwaukee, WI
Anyone want to share their experiences sailing both Lake Superior (especially the Canadian shore) AND Lake Huron's North Channel?

I'm considering my cruising options for the 2013 season on the Great Lakes, and am considering exploring Lake Superior. I've not really done much cruising at all on Lake Superior other than a few days in the Apostles on a charter boat. My boat is based in Milwaukee, WI, so just getting to Sault Ste Marie is several days. I'm not sure I want to do an all-out circumnavigation, but I figure I should probably at least spend some time in the Apostles and Isle Royale. What about the north (Canadian) shore?

I've cruised Lake Huron's North Channel twice now and loved it... wilderness, beauty, lots of destinations, and nice sailing. Being based in Milwaukee, the North Channel is also generally closer to home than most places I think I'd go on Lake Superior, so there's less "delivery" time. But how does the scenery compare between the two areas?

I know many cruising destinations on Lake Superior are much farther apart, and the weather is more extreme, which basically means more preparation is necessary and the "getting there" part can be much more of a challenge. Some of this challenge sounds pretty cool, though, and going somewhere new would be exciting! If you've cruised both areas, have you found the extra challenges on Lake Superior are worth it over cruising the North Channel?

Chances are I'd plan on spending all of August and most of September cruising... which gives me about 5-6 weeks starting at Sault Ste Marie after subtracting delivery time to and from Milwaukee.

What say ye? I'm looking for advice like:

"Lake Superior is a lot of work and not that much prettier than the North Channel," or

"Lake Superior is 10 times more challenging but 10 times better so DO IT!"

Which area do you like better and why? Or do you think this comparison is like apples and oranges? Thanks!

Jun 27, 2011
Macgreggor/Balboa 26 25/26 Baraga
I live on Lake Superior (Baraga) and grew up on Lake Huron (Cedarville) Huron is a kinder warmer lake. Superior at the times your choosing can get really really nasty. If your doing Superior do it June, July and August. Stay out of Sept.

Anyone want to share their experiences sailing both Lake Superior (especially the Canadian shore) AND Lake Huron's North Channel?

I'm considering my cruising options for the 2013 season on the Great Lakes, and am considering exploring Lake Superior. I've not really done much cruising at all on Lake Superior other than a few days in the Apostles on a charter boat. My boat is based in Milwaukee, WI, so just getting to Sault Ste Marie is several days. I'm not sure I want to do an all-out circumnavigation, but I figure I should probably at least spend some time in the Apostles and Isle Royale. What about the north (Canadian) shore?

I've cruised Lake Huron's North Channel twice now and loved it... wilderness, beauty, lots of destinations, and nice sailing. Being based in Milwaukee, the North Channel is also generally closer to home than most places I think I'd go on Lake Superior, so there's less "delivery" time. But how does the scenery compare between the two areas?

I know many cruising destinations on Lake Superior are much farther apart, and the weather is more extreme, which basically means more preparation is necessary and the "getting there" part can be much more of a challenge. Some of this challenge sounds pretty cool, though, and going somewhere new would be exciting! If you've cruised both areas, have you found the extra challenges on Lake Superior are worth it over cruising the North Channel?

Chances are I'd plan on spending all of August and most of September cruising... which gives me about 5-6 weeks starting at Sault Ste Marie after subtracting delivery time to and from Milwaukee.

What say ye? I'm looking for advice like:

"Lake Superior is a lot of work and not that much prettier than the North Channel," or

"Lake Superior is 10 times more challenging but 10 times better so DO IT!"

Which area do you like better and why? Or do you think this comparison is like apples and oranges? Thanks!

Apr 15, 2012
I figured the water would be warmer in September than June, which would help to at least keep me from totally freezing. Much of September would be spent going eastbound as well, in the first half of the month.

September can get crazy on Lake Michigan, too, but can also be more spectacular.

Your advice is noted, however, so thanks!

flip

Sep 29, 2008
Oday 30 Marquette
I was disapointed sailing the north shore of the north channel due to the clarity of the water. The sailing in the north channel was fun and the anchorages are plenty but the number of boats there make some of them a bit crowded. If you are looking for social life then cruise the north channel, if you are looking for solitude and anchorages 30 to 40 miles apart, then sail superior.
Superior is only one day farther away for you then the north channel.
The east and north shore are sparce as far as services and marinas till you get to Thunder Bay. The south shore from the Soo to Duluth has many towns with marinas, services and supplies. It is a beautiful lake and if you have a chance to cruise it, don't pass it up.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I have cruised the North Channel for many years and continue exploring less frequented anchorages. The geology of the region is fascinating. However, and unfortunately, it would appear the powers-that-be, have decided that L. Huron and Michigan water levels will drop considerably in favour of water going down the Mississippi over the next few years. So now I am planning on exploring Superior next season and look forward to whatever this thread stirs up.

Jun 27, 2011
The water in superior is almost always cold in September but depending on the spring it can be swim-able in June. Heck this summer at one point it hit 72 degrees in late June. I definitely think you should cruise Superior just do it in the early summer instead of late and for water clarity sail down to Cedarville and play around in the Les Cheneux islands.

I figured the water would be warmer in September than June, which would help to at least keep me from totally freezing. Much of September would be spent going eastbound as well, in the first half of the month.

September can get crazy on Lake Michigan, too, but can also be more spectacular.

Your advice is noted, however, so thanks!

Apr 15, 2012
I have cruised the North Channel for many years and continue exploring less frequented anchorages. The geology of the region is fascinating. However, and unfortunately, it would appear the powers-that-be, have decided that L. Huron and Michigan water levels will drop considerably in favour of water going down the Mississippi over the next few years. So now I am planning on exploring Superior next season and look forward to whatever this thread stirs up.
Unfortunately, it sounds like water levels are a problem on Superior as well.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Birdman,

We sail or First 36.7 out of the Apostles and cruise Lake Superior. Here are some thoughts.

There are 3 REAL nice cruising grounds on the lake
Apostle Islands
Isle Royale - Thunder Bay
NE shore

The NE shore is very isolated... there are stretches of 100 miles of shoreline that cannot be reached by road. Diesel can be a limiting factor in how long you stay.

You know the Aposltles, the BVIs of the north. Beaches and Islands. Last two years warm enough to swim for hours from late June to Labor Day. Really

Isle Royale is bucket list sailing. Really. Come for this reason alone. A night in Chippewa Harbor is worth the trip.

Lake to be respected but not feared if you prepare. Best add for our boat has been Sirruis/XM real-time weather. RADAR nice but we use weather all of the time. Nice to be able to see a squall line coming, that's the only thing that can get you out of no where. NOAA normally calls the big-picture stuff just fine.

Sails make sure you can shorten your sails way down, and be good at doing it quckly.

An asym is a great way to make progress in 5-10 knots of breeze. That's super common for summer days mid-lake. Beats a solid day of motoring.

Keeweenaw Waterway a fun place and a great jump-off to either Isle Royale or the Apostles.

You must not do any of this without this book.
http://www.amazon.com/Bonnie-Dahls-Superior-Way-Dahl/dp/0942235924

PM or post here if you have any questions...

Apr 15, 2012
Thanks Jackdaw!

I have the book, and the chartbook, so I'm in the planning stage.

Some of my prospective crew that would drive there and meet me also like the shorter drive from Milwaukee compared to the North Channel.

I may want to get an I-68 to clear into the US wherever I want, but does anyone know the current Canadian ports of entry without a CANPASS? I realize this stuff changes constantly, too...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks Jackdaw!

I have the book, and the chartbook, so I'm in the planning stage.

Some of my prospective crew that would drive there and meet me also like the shorter drive from Milwaukee compared to the North Channel.

I may want to get an I-68 to clear into the US wherever I want, but does anyone know the current Canadian ports of entry without a CANPASS? I realize this stuff changes constantly, too...
As far as I know, thunder bay only.

As big an issue getting back.

Here is a decent resource

http://boating.ncf.ca/usborder.html

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I would think your first and nearest Canadian port would be Sault Ste. Marie. Definitely border services there. Oh - even closer would be Richards Landing and Hilton Beach on St. Joesph Island.

Sep 14, 2012
S2 7.0 Christmas MI Lake Superior
Pictured Rocks

Least we not forgot, The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. You have to use caution due to tourists and kayakers, but this is a great section of the lake. Plus you have Munising Bay and Grand Island. :)

Jul 14, 2012
grampian gemini 30 33 lake superior
Have sailed Superior and strongly recommend the north shore over south shore. Once you leave SSM you are on your own. No fuel or food stops until you get to Rossport. Depending upon what you want to see and how long you want to take, would recommend following the north shore and then a quick hop over to Quebec Harbour on Michipicoten Island to see the Caribou. From there back to north shore. Good harbours can be found within every 15 or so miles. If it is a normal year count on a lot of powering. It is a two week trip from SSM to Thunder Bay being on the move every day. You can easily spend a week at Isle Royale. Outside of hills, there is not much to see or many places to stop from Grand Portage to Duluth with the exception of Grand Marais MN so you may want to leave the section of lake from there to Bayfield off your list.

Jim M

Jun 27, 2011
I live on Superior and the thing that people need to remember is that our season is much shorter than others by the mid to late August things are starting to get chilly and it is not unheard of to have temperatures on the water drop down below 40 at night and I have known many a Sept 15 where we have gotten snow flurries. Also weather starts to get "iffy" during that time as far as some pretty nasty storms. If your going to do Superior do it in Mid June and July when the weather is more than likely going to be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.