Lake Erie to Lake Michigan on sailboat. Is it possible?

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 419 Milwaukee
I might purchase a 2016 40’ sailboat in Cleveland to bring it back to its new home in Milwaukee.
I would like for people who sailed between the 2 lakes to share they opinion/experience.
I am a mid experienced sailor. I wouldn’t alone on The boat. The trip will happen in August.
(if you never did that specific trip please don’t post comments)

Thx all!

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I have never taken that particular trip, But from my home near to Detroit I have traveled to all 3 lakes involved. I do not see any particular problems with that journey. You'll be traveling against the current up the Detroit River and then again up the St Clair River. So, from say Put-in Bay to Detroit will be a long day of motoring. Then the trip from Detroit to Port Huron will be another long motoring day as well. I would advise staying close to the Canadian side when sailing under the Blue Water Bridge at the meeting of The St Clair River and Lake Huron.

Otherwise, there are many nice marinas and anchorages on the way. If you have access to the Great Lakes Cruising Club's Harbor reports, I highly recommend them.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Good weather planning is critical. As you know from being in Milwaukee, a strong easterly wind can whip some big waves on the west side of the lake (and vice versa).

You will have exposure from all sides on this trip!

Know where you can jump off the lake and hide / ride out a storm if necessary. Be prepared to motor if the wind is off your nose, etc.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Check your route, and note the various marinas and mark them on a map or make a list.

I was bringing my 1988 O’Day 322 home from Holland, MI and had some engine issues 4-6 foot waves and wind off my nose as I wanted to head SW to Indiana. Quickly made a plan to:
-Pull out the jib and sail back into Lake Makatawa for shelter if the engine seized or died.
- Nurse the engine and stay along the coast…we picked out 3 marinas along the way.

As it turned out, engine didn’t die, and we nursed it to South Haven, where we pulled in early afternoon. Diagnosed the engine problem addressed it, then had a nice dinner in a local brew pub. Next morning, motored the rest of the way home.

When I took delivery of my Hunter 280 in Milwaukee, my first boat, and I had no idea what I was doing, I left Milwaukee in a 30 knot easterly wind, and 6-8 foot seas. After chumming the water, fighting the rain/sleet, and praying my little Yanmar didn’t quit, I made it as far as Winthrop Harbor. I looked at my chart and thought about making it to the next marina another hour south…but I was cold and sick and saw a neon sign at the restaurant…figured they had heat ;-)

So, check your charts and be familiar with the options you have in case you need one.

Sounds like a cool trip, particularly once you get on Lake Huron.

Greg

May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
Michigan has a great network of state/city/municipal harbors every 20-30 miles along the Lake Huron and Michigan shore.
You said 40ft sailboat, but what is the draft? Some of the harbors aren't dredged very deep, and this rarely visited by sailboats.

Port Huron, Lexington, Port Sanilac, Port Austin, Harrisburg, Presque Isle, Rogers City, Mackinac City / Straits State Harbor / Mackinac Island are all Great sailboat stops on Lake Huron.

You have to give some serious thought to your route planning... will you be taking long days and pushing to make the trip quick, or taking a 2-week cruise and sight-seeing your way? Regardless, you have to have contingency plans

We went the opposite direction, Sturgeon Bay to Detroit, and because of family schedule (and those pesky lock-down days of 2020), we went for the long days and pushing long distances.

Our route was Sturgeon Bay to Beaver Island to Rogers City to Port Austin to Lexington to Detroit. So 4-nights, 5-days... ~370NM... longest day was a tick over 100NM and 16hrs, and averaged 80NM & 12hrs each day. That's not for everyone... and can't say I'd recommend it to anyone, but it worked. We were always ready to modify based on weather or issues, but we didn't have any problems.

You can get Michigan harbor info/reservations at MI DNR. I'm sure others can comment on the Lake Michigan harbors better than me. I like Beaver Island, but you don't need to cross the lake that far north.

The planning is fun, the exploring new little towns and harbors is even better, and the experience will be a fantastic way to start your adventures with your new boat!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i'm a paper nav man, old school. i would get the richardson cruising guide for lake erie, lake huron, lake michigan. st.clair prolly in one of those.
gps on the boat, navionics on all your phones.
i would go with 4 crew and a cook, minimum.
i would visit places of choice during the days and then fuel up and continue and run all night. prolly motorsail a bunch
aug, is an easy month weather wise.
weather apps on your phone. weather on your radio
loads of fun places to visit on the way.
don't rush
take your time
that run is a hoot
no docking fees
no restaurant prices
share with family and friends
i sail with a crew, not fond of shorthanded sailing, and always take a cook

in the rivers just run buoy to buoy, passing 15' on the inside. so simple. so safe.
i've made that run 1,000's of times

been sailing 63 years
drove the lake ships for a living
the great lakes are the greatest sailing in the world i think

buy your richardson guides now and start dreaming up a plan.

now, we want you to take pictures and post them here

your going to have a lot of fun

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We (the Admiral and I) have cruised from Sandusky to Mackinac and back as well as all around Lake Erie. We have chartered in Ontario, Superior, and Michigan.

The delivery trip you plan is simply an enjoyable Great Lakes cruise! We plan 8 to 10 hour legs, and never have a problem finding the next marina or anchorage. I think the best source of information is website of the Great Lakes Cruising Club. The membership is about the cost of a set of Richardson guides, the info is updated in real time, and there are folks you can call for advice about any place on the lakes. I concur with the advice above on the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers.

My strategic advice is to build in time to sit out contrary winds or weather in port, and to rest and poke around some of your stops. Use the weather forecasts, radar, and get into port by 4 PM on hot days to avoid sailing in thunderstorms. (We have only been caught under weigh once in lightning in 24 years, and 500+ days of cruising in Lady Lillie.)

Fair winds and following sea on your cruise. And have fun!

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
We (the Admiral and I) have cruised from Sandusky to Mackinac and back as well as all around Lake Erie. We have chartered in Ontario, Superior, and Michigan.

The delivery trip you plan is simply an enjoyable Great Lakes cruise! We plan 8 to 10 hour legs, and never have a problem finding the next marina or anchorage. I think the best source of information is website of the Great Lakes Cruising Club. The membership is about the cost of a set of Richardson guides, the info is updated in real time, and there are folks you can call for advice about any place on the lakes. I concur with the advice above on the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers.

My strategic advice is to build in time to sit out contrary winds or weather in port, and to rest and poke around some of your stops. Use the weather forecasts, radar, and get into port by 4 PM on hot days to avoid sailing in thunderstorms. (We have only been caught under weigh once in lightning in 24 years, and 500+ days of cruising in Lady Lillie.)

Fair winds and following sea on your cruise. And have fun!
Wonderful help. Thx!!!

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
i'm a paper nav man, old school. i would get the richardson cruising guide for lake erie, lake huron, lake michigan. st.clair prolly in one of those.
gps on the boat, navionics on all your phones.
i would go with 4 crew and a cook, minimum.
i would visit places of choice during the days and then fuel up and continue and run all night. prolly motorsail a bunch
aug, is an easy month weather wise.
weather apps on your phone. weather on your radio
loads of fun places to visit on the way.
don't rush
take your time
that run is a hoot
no docking fees
no restaurant prices
share with family and friends
i sail with a crew, not fond of shorthanded sailing, and always take a cook

in the rivers just run buoy to buoy, passing 15' on the inside. so simple. so safe.
i've made that run 1,000's of times

been sailing 63 years
drove the lake ships for a living
the great lakes are the greatest sailing in the world i think

buy your richardson guides now and start dreaming up a plan.

now, we want you to take pictures and post them here

your going to have a lot of fun
You make it sound so enjoyable!
Maybe you bring your cook and you come with me and tell me the many stories you must have accumulated during those 63 years!!
Thx Capt’n

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Michigan has a great network of state/city/municipal harbors every 20-30 miles along the Lake Huron and Michigan shore.
You said 40ft sailboat, but what is the draft? Some of the harbors aren't dredged very deep, and this rarely visited by sailboats.

Port Huron, Lexington, Port Sanilac, Port Austin, Harrisburg, Presque Isle, Rogers City, Mackinac City / Straits State Harbor / Mackinac Island are all Great sailboat stops on Lake Huron.

You have to give some serious thought to your route planning... will you be taking long days and pushing to make the trip quick, or taking a 2-week cruise and sight-seeing your way? Regardless, you have to have contingency plans

We went the opposite direction, Sturgeon Bay to Detroit, and because of family schedule (and those pesky lock-down days of 2020), we went for the long days and pushing long distances.

Our route was Sturgeon Bay to Beaver Island to Rogers City to Port Austin to Lexington to Detroit. So 4-nights, 5-days... ~370NM... longest day was a tick over 100NM and 16hrs, and averaged 80NM & 12hrs each day. That's not for everyone... and can't say I'd recommend it to anyone, but it worked. We were always ready to modify based on weather or issues, but we didn't have any problems.

You can get Michigan harbor info/reservations at MI DNR. I'm sure others can comment on the Lake Michigan harbors better than me. I like Beaver Island, but you don't need to cross the lake that far north.

The planning is fun, the exploring new little towns and harbors is even better, and the experience will be a fantastic way to start your adventures with your new boat!
Thanks so much for sharing

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
You've gotten plenty of good advice. We've made the trip from Erie, Pa to Lake Michigan each season the last several years. This year, we're getting smart and wintering the boat in Port Huron instead. It's a great trip. One other suggestion not mentioned so far, is get a membership with the Great Lakes Cruising Club. Their harbor reports will give you info you won't find anywhere else. The reciprocal privileges that you can get from some of the yacht / boat clubs on the way because of the membership will save you the cost of the membership on that trip. The active captain database in Navionics also has a lot of info on the various anchorages and harbors along the way.