Lake Erie anchorages

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T J Furstenau

The family and I (wife and I, kids - 6, 4, 2, 6 months) will be heading out to lake Erie in two weeks for an extended weekend off of Port Clinton. We were there last year and plan on repeating an overnight at Cedar Point (kids like the amusement park, wife likes the marina). We were also planning an to spend one night in the cove on the north side of S.Bass Island, nice beach and fairly well protected. I'm looking for a recommendation for the third night. Put-in-Bay isn't that attractive, as the atmosphere is a little more active than we'd like with the kids. Does anyone know of another good hidden cove or inlet around the islands? Let us know. BTW, depth isn't a problem for us, we just swing the keel! I love our H26! T J Furstenau

T

terry dornan

No Put-In_Bay !!!

well i spose your right, but ! gets a little zesty out there :) You can always tie into the state docks in Kelley's Island and hang out on the hiking and bike trails- I think that if you plan your trip to hit south bass in mid week, Tuesday Wednesday, you will find it very enjoyable for the kids. You might consider docking on Middle Bass and taking the shuttle over to south bass for the day. Other options -- go east-Huron, Vermilion both have transient docks and dockage held at the yacht clubs. If you want to go into Port Clinton for the night - let me know, depending what day and week you are talking about - my dock might be available! I would have to know ahead of time soa as to set up a key card for you .. Terry

G

Gene Foraker

Lake Erie

Put in Bay is great for families midweek. Kelly's Island is a nice destination for families anytime. Not many good "all weather" anchorages in the area though. With dependable SW wind and no storms, the north side of Kelly's is popular, but always not great holding. Pelee island is very nice with Scudders marina in the North side and great anchorage for west or NW wind in the south. You must register ashore with Canadian Customs first, so it is a nice destination after Scudder's. On the North shore, Leamington is a very nice destination with a wonderful public marina.

Status
Not open for further replies.