Lake Champlain to the Thousand Islands

Baydog

May 6, 2022
Oday 20 Morristown
Hi all, I am on the verge of buying a Tanzer 22 (swing keel) in great shape located on Lake Champlain and will be cruising back home to the Thousand Islands. I'd like to go North to Montreal and then up the St. Lawrence from there, but would consider going South to Troy and taking Erie Canal. I have done Troy to Oswego so I'm familiar with that route, but would like to try the Northern path. I assume I'd have to take the mast down going either direction? Which means I will probably be motoring the whole journey. Also, did I mention I am a novice sailor :) I am a fairly experienced boater, but have never sailed anything bigger than a Laser. From what I hear a Tanzer 22 should be a good boat to learn on.

I would greatly appreciate any input, information and suggestions! Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The Tanzer 22 is a great little boat. I owned one for many years and cruised all over eastern Lake Ontario and the Thousand Islands.

It is reasonable to sail north on Champlain, then take the mast down until you get to the St. Lawrence. The mast is heavy for a 22 ft boat, however when rigged correctly 2 people can raise it with out a crane as it has a tabernacle.

The challenge to your course is the current and prevailing winds on the St Lawrence and going through the really large locks. Some of the time will be slow going because of the winds and currents.

Depending on where on Lake Champlain the boat is located, the Erie route will be easier although longer. From Waterford to Oswego will probably take 5 days. The locks will be easier and there will be fewer issues with current. Once in Oswego it will be necessary to cross Lake Ontario. Back in my youth I did this multiple times in my T22. Oswego to Cape Vincent is about 45-50 miles, a good 10-12 hour day. It is possible to break the trip in 2 by anchoring in Dutch John Bay on Stony Island (a private island, don't go ashore). It is also possible to go in to Henderson Harbor or Chaumont Bay, do go in too deep as it is a long way back out.

Which way would I choose? Depends on several factors, available time, boat's location, and exact destination. If the boat is at the southern end of the Champlain and you're headed to Cape Vincent area or the Kingston/Gananoque area, I'd probably choose the Erie Canal. If starting at the northern end and headed to the eastern 1000 islands, I'd probably go the St. Lawrence Route.

Good Luck on your journey and enjoy the Tanzer, they are a fun and versatile little boat.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Ever thought of turning right after lake St-Louis and going up the Ottawa river and doing the Rideau to Kingston: not a time saver but a nice trip on the T-22. No St-Lawrence locks, no freighters, no huge current! Just nice places and a cool trip.