Labor Day in the San Juans

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Young

Planning to head up to the San Juan Islands over Labor day weekend - hopefully before every other boat in the Puget Sound area heads there too. Any suggestions for scenic protected bays to drop an anchor into if we can get there before the rest of the fleet? I've only been to San Juan a couple of times, and that was on a mini-bike rather than a sailboat.

M

Michael McCann

San Jaun's

Dave; Reid Harbor, on Stuart Is. is nice, but is a rather long jaunt from BI. You might also try Hunter Bay on the east side of Lopez. We have stayed at both, and they are about the same for tranquility. They both have dinghy access to shore for hiking, and the like. Niether one has any shopping so take everything with you. Michael

N

NH

Fisherman Bay..

On Lopez.. Just check your charts and tides, so you don;t run aground..

G

Gary Wyngarden

Visit to the San Juans

Dave, Welcome to the San Juans. Be aware that a sail to the San Juans is a pretty long haul from Bainbridge. My mate doesn't like really long days on the water. Consequently we've normally broken up a trip to/from Seattle with an overnight in Port Townsend. Pay particular attention to the direction of the tides in Admiralty Inlet as they can significantly add to the duration of your sail and also be mindful of the weather forecast on the Strait of Juan de Fuca as it can be testy, particularly in the afternoons. That said, there are numerous wonderful places to anchor and explore. We have several state marine parks with protected anchorages, hiking trails and shoreline tidal pools, and some with great views of Mount Baker. There are two large bays on the east side of Sucia, (Echo and Fossil). Expect them to be crowded. Smaller anchorages can be found on Patos and Matia. There are two beautiful and protected anchorages on Stuart, Prevost and Reid Harbors. All of these are state parks with mooring buoys (they go early) but room for anchoring as well. A seldom visited anchorage that is very pretty is Massacre Bay at the head of West Sound here on Orcas. The shoreline is all privately owned, but there is a small island (Skull Island) in the Bay with Marine Life. Bring your crab trap! Closer to Bainbridge is the aforementioned Hunter Bay on Lopez. I've anchored there but don't recall any hiking trails. There are several places to provision, Friday Harbor being the best, but if you want these secluded anchorages, it's best to be self contained. Enjoy! Gary Wyngarden S/V Shibumi H335

M

Michael McCann

READ, don't add text that isn't there!!!

Dave; Despite what Gary wrote, I did not say anything about "hiking trails" at Hunter Bay, just that there was access to shore, by dinghy. Any hiking will have to be done on county roads from Hunter Bay. If you are going for a week or more then Sucia would be nice. One last thing, you will not get there before the crowds, as they are already there. Have fun. Michael

G

Gary Wyngarden

Sorry, Michael!

We're trail hikers, not road hikers whenever possible. Gary

B

Bruce

San Juans

Dave, there are just too many good harbors to choose from. My suggestion is to get a copy of "Gunkholing In The San Juans", a detailed illustrated book written for folks just like you. It not only protrays bays for anchoring, it gives background of places, people and things to do. Enjoy. We do every weekend.

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

No jet skis!

And the best thing about San Juan County is the ban on jet skis!!! :) Seriously, though, if you want to get away from "the crowds", don't go to the San Juans. Hood Canal is stunning AND virtually deserted. We would spend all day on the water and see only one or two other boats. Also, I've heard the South Sound is also pretty much an ignored gem. Sounds like a great trip - wish I could go! LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.