Kubota/Westerbeke/Universal

Jun 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Mk 1, #3335 Midland, Ontario
OK all, I just found out a temperature sender for my temp. gauge that taps in to the thermostat housing that I want to replace a suspect one in my M-25 XPB Universal is going to cost me almost $200.00 (WTF???) at a marina. A simple sending unit! So, who out there knows if one for a tractor using a Kubota engine of the same block is the same as my Universal? Really, a no-**** "I Know This For Sure" answer. If I go to a Farm tractor dealer and ask for a temp sender for a M-25XPB he'll ask "What tractor is that for?" and I'll say "A Universal ...in a sailboat" and he'll laugh and send me to the nearest marina, where I will be expected to bend over and take it! (The new acronym for BOAT!)
I guaran-frikken-tee no farmer would pay $200. bucks for a temp sender for his farm tractor, but if you're a boater you're expected to be able to ante up without blinking!
Anyone know of a compatibility source that can tell me what farm unit will work? Really, if my Universal is the same as a Kubota and/or a Westerbeke this should be a no-brainer. As always, Thanks.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
IIRC, there are block equivalents here, three links as a matter of fact:

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of Universal Engine Information on the Internet

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Diesel_Engine

The C30 Association website and their Yahoo group should also know.

You're right, tractor source will be waaay less expensive.

Jun 21, 2009
OK all, I just found out a temperature sender for my temp. gauge that taps in to the thermostat housing that I want to replace a suspect one in my M-25 XPB Universal is going to cost me almost $200.00 (WTF???) at a marina. A simple sending unit! So, who out there knows if one for a tractor using a Kubota engine of the same block is the same as my Universal? Really, a no-**** "I Know This For Sure" answer. If I go to a Farm tractor dealer and ask for a temp sender for a M-25XPB he'll ask "What tractor is that for?" and I'll say "A Universal ...in a sailboat" and he'll laugh and send me to the nearest marina, where I will be expected to bend over and take it! (The new acronym for BOAT!)
I guaran-frikken-tee no farmer would pay $200. bucks for a temp sender for his farm tractor, but if you're a boater you're expected to be able to ante up without blinking!
Anyone know of a compatibility source that can tell me what farm unit will work? Really, if my Universal is the same as a Kubota and/or a Westerbeke this should be a no-brainer. As always, Thanks.
and I see already that Catalina Direct has one for $75.00 but my question remains, what about a Kubota and/or Westerbeke part for the same engine.
Thanks.

Jul 28, 2012
Catalina 27 Annapolis
The link below provides a mapping from Universal model to Kubota engine model. The stroke series information is useful as well if you can find the manual (70mm for the M-18). When I've looked for parts at tractor places they always ask for the tractor information. The second link helps map engine to tractor model.

The Kubota model is also stamped on your oil dipstick although May mismatch. For example my M-18 has Z-500 instead of Z-600.

The M-25XP maps to the D-1005E Kubota

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...241-Universal-5432-amp-M40-engine-information

http://mountainkubota.com/MOUNTAINKubotaEngineList.htm

Josh

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The Ericson link in Reply #4 is very good, but hard to read. Another version, readable, is in the link I provided earlier.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
This is simple:

#1 Ascertain the sending unit threads usually 1/8" NPT or 1/4" NPT on Universals
#2 Buy a 33-240 Ohm sending unit with the right threads.
#3 Buy a 33-240 Ohm gauge
#4 Install both
#5 Done......

Both together with cost you less than just the sender from Universal, $37.98 for the gauge and sender to be exact.......

1/8" Faria Temp Sender $12.99

1/4" Faria Temp Sender $12.99

Faria Temp Gauge $24.99

Heck you could probably replace all your gauges with Faria for less than Universal wants for just the sender... I do it all the time....

Dec 18, 2013
. . .
Thank you Maine Sail! Great answers. And now I can add new affordable gauges to my boat-upgrade-wish-list.

Jun 21, 2009
This is simple:

#1 Ascertain the sending unit threads usually 1/8" NPT or 1/4" NPT on Universals
#4 Install both
#5 Done......

Both together with cost you less than just the sender from Universal, $37.98 for the gauge and sender to be exact.......

Faria Temp Gauge $24.99

Heck you could probably replace all your gauges with Faria for less than Universal wants for just the sender... I do it all the time....
Well, as interesting as this is (and it is, Thanks Maine Sail) I found a Kubota tractor part, a thermo-sender as they refer to it, for just $25 bucks. And yes Dorothy, it is the same damn unit Universal wants almost 2 hundred for! So is this another example of Yachters Can Afford It, so why not gouge them?!?
Really, I get that the marine industry is affected more by fluctuations in the economy than many others. It's considered a recreational pastime that is one of the first things to go when the markets tank. It has been on a very slow rebound for the last 5 years, ever since the sub-prime meltdown. And when they can they charge more to help carry them over, lest they not survive the next hiccup. I get that. And I will pay a reasonable hike in cost. Whereas farming is consistent. Farmers always need things in order to feed the world. So aside from inflation prices remain reasonable. Because no farmer gets rich doing what they do. If any farm supply company were to treat a farmer like the marine industry treats us there'd be pitchforks and torches at the gates. So can someone explain to me how the same part costing $25 bucks at a Kubota dealer costs three times more at Catalina Direct, and almost 8 times more at a local marina? Kiss My A*S!
This was a rhetorical question that doesn't require an answer. Just venting. Thanks for all your help all.

Jun 21, 2009
This is simple:

#4 Install both
#5 Done......

Faria Temp Gauge $24.99

Maine, do you have part numbers for a tach that would work with my Catalina 30 Mk 1, Universal diesel M25-XPB that is non-mechanical? I'd rather the electronic one to simplify installation. I think I'll replace all my instruments and make a panel that is high on the combing, rather than down on the floor of the cockpit.
And I think you're right (as usual) I should have gone this route from the start because the sender I got from Kubota only works with one of their temp gauges... an additional $40 bucks...oh well, live and learn. Still far cheaper than a sender from Universal.
Have a great weekend. Norm

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Does anyone have cross information on the Westerbekes that are NOT UNIVERSAL? I have a 1996 Westerbeke 20B-Two.