KOOL Sea Snark

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
I was just reminiscing with some co-workers and told them about my first boat, a KOOL cigarettes Sea Snark from the early 70s - you could send in $88 and the box top from a carton of Kools and get this styrofoam boat delivered 6 to 8 weeks later. My dad smoked Chesterfields but heroically switched to Kools for a couple of weeks while I mowed lawns and saved my allowance for the $88. The daggerboard was too short so I made a new one. I had it for a couple of years. It met its end on top of a car when the wind got under it and snapped it in half.

Anybody else have one of these?

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
I actually do. My dad bought it years ago and we used it at our summer cottage on the Potomac River. Recently I had to clean out their properties after they passed, and guess what I found? And all parts and totally intact. Don't really need it now with the big boat but maybe grandkids...? Or a serious offer...

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I never smoked so took the money I might have wasted and upgraded to the Mach V for $350 at the local hardware store. Stopped by the local library (remember books) on the way home for a couple of learn to sail books. Taught myself to sail and the rest is ancient history. ;)

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
My Dad won one at a local Shell gas station. I was about 13 or 14 years old. Learned to sail from a book. That would have been about 1960 or close. Nobody much sailed in Tennessee then. Sailed it on a small local lake and used it like a canoe. I moved back to Clarksville in 1973 and still had it at my mother’s house. Used it during a flood and afterwards, it fell over and broke in two. Was a fun boat with a yellow plastic sail.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A good friend had one that he used to accompany our little group on canoe/kayak tours in local bayous and rivers.. He had a good double paddle and the boat did well.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I was just reminiscing with some co-workers and told them about my first boat, a KOOL cigarettes Sea Snark from the early 70s - you could send in $88 and the box top from a carton of Kools and get this styrofoam boat delivered 6 to 8 weeks later. My dad smoked Chesterfields but heroically switched to Kools for a couple of weeks while I mowed lawns and saved my allowance for the $88. The daggerboard was too short so I made a new one. I had it for a couple of years. It met its end on top of a car when the wind got under it and snapped it in half.

Anybody else have one of these?
For 2 dollars extra, your dad could have enjoyed that whole process a lot more....

1973_Budweiser_Advertisement_with_Snark_sailboat_offer.jpg

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
I remember the Kool ones and you could find them at every tag sale. That's where I bought mine. I don't remember the Bud ones though. Jackdaw must have grown up in a very different neighborhood then me !!!!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I remember the Kool ones and you could find them at every tag sale. That's where I bought mine. I don't remember the Bud ones though. Jackdaw must have grown up in a very different neighborhood then me !!!!
This was just about the time my parents bought into our friends Ericsson 29, so the little boat would have held no appeal for me. I was entranced by the 29, it seemed so huge. If I had asked my dad would have drank the Bud, but being in the UP of Michigan he was a Bosch man. But no way he would have smoked Kools. For him it was Luckies all the way. L.S. / M.F.T.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
This was just about the time my parents bought into our friends Ericsson 29, so the little boat would have held no appeal for me. I was entranced by the 29, it seemed so huge. If I had asked my dad would have drank the Bud, but being in the UP of Michigan he was a Bosch man. But no way he would have smoked Kools. For him it was Luckies all the way. L.S. / M.F.T.
Lucky Strike.. Mighty Fine Tobacco...

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I never put a cigarette to my lips but there were times, as a young lad in the car, I couldn't see if it was my brother or sister sitting next to me. :what:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I had a Snark for a while. Not a great boat but worth every penny of that $88. It sat in my ex's back yard for many years. A friend of mine has it now and his son likes to sail it.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
It's the boat I learned to sail in, though not the cigarette advertising version. I'd love to have another one.