Knot vs splice - Which is better?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
You determine and then watch the video. Then tell us if your were right or wrong.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I said Knot. Only because of the thought of the extra line involved.

Jim...

PS: I modified my answer to not reveal the results.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Consistent with my understanding.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I've always heard that knots subtract from a ropes strength but a splice preserves it. Nice to see proof!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Note that the splice broke at the tip of the bury. This is why tapering is important.

For course, stronger and better are two different concepts.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I can tie a bowlin in seconds. The splice takes time.
Interesting how much stretch there exists in line.
Imagine if the line is repeatedly stretched how the line begins to break down, as when a boat tied to a bouy or at anchor.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Different tools for different uses .... If I'm securing a halyard shackle that will never come apart until I pitch the line, then I'll splice. If I'm tying on the dingy painter, I'll knot. I think the real lesson from this is that I've never seen a modern line part on a sailboat. I've seen bad knots come undone, usually from flogging, but never one where the 3/8" VPC or even Sta-Set line failed because it was pulled too hard. That looked like Sta-Set and the bowline parted at over 1,600 kg (3,500#). I don't know about you guys, but I don't winch that much on my little boat!

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
The video was interesting. As noted by others, the knot broke first but way above any stress I would put on a line.

And yes, knots are generally easy to tie and provide an instant connection but with a little practice you can be making perfect splices very quickly however, splices really only work in new line and for permanent connections. Knots can be used at any time and can always be undone. That being said, I've been practicing my splices for several years and it now takes longer to get my tools ready than it does to do the actual splice.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Those lines did not stretch that much. The upper moved as the knot tightened. The lower was moving on the drum.

Note how knot tightening can absorb impact, one time. This is also one reason climbers use a figure 8 knot.

Nov 26, 2012
C&C 40-2 Berkeley
Ummm. Wouldn't it need to be the same rope for the test to be valid? Testing two different lines: one with a knot and one with a splice doesn't really prove much. With that said I already knew the answer. Splicing is better.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
From the looks of the line and the fact that it appeared to be conducted by a rope manufacturer, my SWAG is that the lines were the same brand, same age and type. Difference was color. I suspect you could deduce that the red one was stronger than the white one, but that is a conversation for a different thread.