Knot meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roger

Hi All, my G-23 knot meter doesn't work--hasn't since i bought da boat. I would like to replace or repair it. It appears to be an original instalation as i've seen others of the same make. My question: Does any one know the manufacturer? They are an old USA company, i think in NY State or there abouts. I forgot to write down their name before leaving Canada for FL :-( Please HELP! Anyone replaced such a part? Is there something that might be easier to instal?

P

Peter

Hi. I have a G23 also and replaced the knot meter. The same type and size still exist on the market. I ordered it from Holland Marine in Toronto. I'm just assuming that the one that I replaced was similar to or the original itself........take care and fair winds....Peter P.S. I even got to use the original through the hull fitting.

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Roger - a question for you.

Do you have a swing keel on your G-23? Do you have any problem with depth on Pigeon Lake? I remember fishing on Pigeon Lake as a kid, and that there were a number of shallows (that's where the big muskellunge were hiding). My G-26 is fin keeled, and I draw 4'6". Would I be ok at your club? Enjoy Florida & drive safe.

R

Roger

Shoal draft G-26

Hi Jim, lots of depth in the lake, but club water wouldn't do 4'6''. I have 2 G-26s docked next to me but with shoal drafts. Our club is in Bobcaygeon at Lock 32 on the Trent waterway. Great place in da summer... :)

R

Roger

Meter name

Hi Peter, thanks for the info. Do you know the name of the manufacturer? Did yours come from the USA? I'd like to get it while here in the US and save all of the border-stuff?

P

Peter

meter

Hi Roger, I can't remember the brand name of the meter off the top of my head but, if you do a search, you can find it on the Holand Marine web site. Try www.hollandmarine.com. They have an on-line listing of all their products (with pictures). My boat is 45 mins away and snow-covered. If I get there I will look up the name of the maker. Take care....Peter

R

Roger

Got the manufacturer

Hi Peter, thanks for you help! But through AOL Key-Word i plugged in Knot Meter and eventually in an article in Canadian Yachting found "S.R. Mariner" in Tonawanda, NY, to be the maker. They offer replacement and repair possibilities. So all is well! Thanks to each fer yer help! :) I have another question but will open a new thread. Roger

C

Chip G

Just curious... what is the downside to using a GPS unit for speed instead of a knot meter?

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
For Chip...

In "most" instances, there really is not much of difference in using a knotmeter or GPS to determine your boat speed. A knotmeter tells you your speed through the water while a GPS tells you your speed over ground -- or what's below the water. So....if you have no wind and are facing a 2 kt tide, for example, your knotmeter might tell you are going 2 kt while the GPS would read "0". Yet in most sailing situations, the difference in readings between the two instruments is often quite minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.