Knockdown recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keith K.

This spring I bought a 1976 Cat22 in excellent condition. So far I've had a lot of fun sailing this boat but my wife asked a valid question: what will happen if I suffer a knockdown? I'm assuming it won't sink but will I be able to right it by myself, and if so, how do I sail with 200 gallons of water in the cabin? Please let me know if you've had to deal with this or if the boat is stable enough that I won't have to worry. Thanks, Keith

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

Knockdown

I wouldn't worry too much unless it's really blowing. Obviously you sail on a lake, which mean no huge ocean swells so I'd say you're pretty safe BUT... there have been cases where folks are scooting along (in C22s), they get knocked down

M

Michael McCann

Knockdown

Kieth; I supose you could get into trouble if you go over far enough for the keel to fold up into the trunk (assuming you have the swing keel C22), but, I have never seen the wind alone tip over a 'keel boat', especially if you have your hand on the main sheet. It would take a large wave to get your boat over far enough to flood the cabin, and as LaDonna pointed out you should be aware of this and have the hatch closed, and secured. If the keel is down you should only heel to a point where the rudder cannot keep her on course, and then you round up. Michael

K

Keith K.

thanks

I appreciate the information. Most of my previous sailing is with smaller 1-2 person boats that you right by standing on the centerboard. I have a pretty good feel of the boat and I don't think I've even come close to it's maximum heel angle. Again, thanks for your help. Keith K.

B

Brad Williams

They do get knocked down...generally if

you are not paying attention. Keep the boards in if you are in doubt. Another big thing is make sure that someone can release the sheets. If the sails fill with water and the sheets are cleated off, the boat can't right itself. Brad

R

Robert W. Bonney

Agree with Rich

I have a C22 MkII. Last fall, while out sailing in moderate winds, I was struck broadside by a huge gust that caught me completely by surprise. The boat did heal over to a point where the mast was parallel to the water. Scared me to death, but I instinctively released the mainsheet as the boat was going over. The boat righted itslef. Once my heart started beating again, I tied down the sails and motored home. The lesson learned, however, was that I could take that much heal and still right the boat.

M

Michael McCann

Knock Down

And in any of these instances did the sails go into the water? NO! And I doubt, without seeing proof, that the keel actually came completely out of the water. If you were caught in a down draft at the time of max heel the mast could get close to 90 degrees, but that I also doubt. I have been in a Olson 25 that was "knocked down" while flying a spinaker. Yes the rail was in the water, and the spinaker was holding us down until we could release the tangled sheet, but the boat was in no danger of dunking the mast because there were NO WAVES!

T

Ted

Ultimate stability

I recently purchased a Cat 22 Mk11 and was wondering the same thing. I found an article in Small Craft Advisor (smallcraftadvisor.com) about stability which gives good advice. The gist of the article is that each boat has ultimate stability, an angle of knockdown that it will recover from. According to the author this information should be available from the builder but I can't find it for the Cat 22. Evidently for most trailer sailors this angle is about 110 degrees. The article suggests at least 125 for offshore sailing. I take it that this is theoretical since you have to keep water out of the cabin and if the sails fill with water they are going to pull you down. Two suggestions I've found are lifting life jackets on halyards in bad weather and filling the the mast with pool noodles to add bouyancy. These measures may help to keep the mast from going over more than 90 degrees. Ted

S

SRFRR

SIMPLE ANSWER

First of all, in heavy air make sure your boat is battened down and secure including the doors near the transom. Second, replace the sailboat cleats next to the winch that I have seen on some boats with Harken clam cleats, this will enable you to release the mainsheet as the boat goes over. Third, make sure the keel is locked down, it would suck if the keel came slamming down on your boat if it went over. Finally, your boat will never actually sink, it might fill with water, and go under, but it will only go under a couple inches if that, it will never sink to the bottom so to speak.

L

Lynn F

knockdown

While reading this thread I saw several referneces to the keel lock. We bought a used 22 with a swing keel and the sales person made no mention of the locking pin needing to close. He looked at it and said ok it's in the open position that's good....Altho we have located it, it seems to be stuck , does it turn ? Does it push ? Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem. We have sailed her three times , the keel goes down nicely w/o any rubbing or resistance......anyone have any idea what to do ?

S

SRFRR

RE: KNOCKDOWN

The keel lockdown bolt is under the cushion forward of the galley table. You should be able to turn it. You would want to lock down the keel when it is fully lowered when sailing in deep water to prevent the keel from banging around in waves or, if the boat where to roll, this would prevent it from slamming back into the upright position. What acually happens when you lock it down is you are applying pressure to the side of the keel to make it stop swinging. This can be explained when visiting Catalinadirect.com You should get an owners manual for your boat also. Catalina direct sells a new bolt incase your is frozen. You would have to get the boatyard to remove the old one by grinding it out, then fiberglass the new bolt in place.

R

Rich Obrosky

C-22's will sink !

Don't be fooled into believing that a C-22 can not be sunk in a knock down. Two summers ago on a lake near Austin Texas, group of experienced sailors on a C-22 were competing in a racing event when they were knocked down. The boat sunk in less than two minutes. She is in about 80 feet of water,

Status
Not open for further replies.