Kiss-ssb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
So, I read that this RF counterpoise has been out for a year or so. Anyone using one? If you are not sure what it is, do a google on the subject. In essence, it is a 10 foot tube with seven wires inside, a 4 foot length of wire with a connector for your antenna tuner. There seems to be a rave for the device over copper grounding and other grounding.

Discuss? Thoughts?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Brian
I did a quick check on eham.com where virtually anything radio-related is reviewed but didn't see the KISS under antennas. You might want to take a closer look as I'm sure reviews are there someplace

Feb 17, 2006
Don, it is all over Sailnet and Cruiserforum (from 2011). That is where I was reading about it. Plus a few other sites. I was just wondering if anyone here was using it on their boat. For the cost ($139), looks like it would be worth a try. Have nothing to lose.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Brian,

I've used one for about two years now and it works great. I was using a copper foil to a thru hull before. The KISS works a lot better, and was a heck of a lot easier to install. took all of about 15 minutes.

Feb 17, 2006
Karl, did you do an A/B comparison at the time? Not doubting you one bit as there are many who have said the same thing. But maybe your foil system was starting to go down the drain.

Regardless, I am thinking of getting one myself. I hope to start to put HF in the boat. Not permanent, but having it available when I want.

Thanks for your insight.

Mar 12, 2008
I didn't do the A/B test, but I did do a side-by-side comparison with another boat that was using the foil to the thru hull method, and both worked well. I was finding that I tuned up a hair faster than the foil guy, and signal reports were about the same from several distant stations. As for my empiric observations, I had less light flashing and the signals seemed to be a little stronger than the copper, even when it was just installed. The advantage of the KISS was it was a snap to install (took me less than 10 minutes) and the lack of maintenance. I don't have to watch for corrosion and I just check the fittings every now and then. Two years of using it, and I'm still a fan of the KISS.

Feb 17, 2006
I also read a guy took 17 feet of copper braid and put it in a clear tube, threw in the bilge I think and connected it to his tuner and it did the same thing. Very interesting indeed. I will have to experiment. But then again, anything to do with the boat will be an experiment. ^_^

Thanks

Mar 12, 2008
Have fun experimenting, and I'll keep an ear out for you. Does this mean we'll see you out at Two Harbors in 2013? I still owe you that mai tai.

Feb 17, 2006
Well, I sure hope to get out there next year. Not sure if the club has any cruises that way. But I may head up the coast and then over. Will have to ask the wife what she wants to do. I'll keep in touch Karl. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.