Kiss-ssb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
When I sold my old boat, unfortunately the ICOM 802 went with the boat. So now it is time to start planning out the installation of the radio on the new boat. I plan to start installing a new ICOM 802 in January, which gives me a little time to take a look at a few changes, starting with my counterpoise.

On the last boat, I used copper foil from the tuner and tranceiver, ran to a common thru hull. Worked great and was easy to install. But, with the new boat, I wanted to see if there might be a better option. One of the things I was looking at was the KISS-SSB ground. I was wondering if anyone used one and what they thought of the ground it provided.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
my 2 cents is that it can't be any better than a traditional ground as you used Karl so if it was easy to install, what's the value-added? I also wonder how a bundle of wires could equal the effectiveness of a flat wide copper foil.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Hey Don, You know me. I'm a big fan of keeping it simple and easy. And copper foil to the nearest thru hull has always worked well for me and for others that I've helped install their SSB. However, on the new boat, it is going to be a LONG run from the tuner to the nearest thru hull. So I thought I'd take a look at other alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.