Kink in Line

Tantor

Dec 25, 2010
Hunter 410 LaSalle, Mi
what double braided line kink or twist minimum... actually i am using it for inside forestay with double purchase and it kinks terribly when I tension forestay for storm jib.
I use new VPC line one of problem is that marking on line doesn't show twist it was my mistake when I purchse line. It would help to see when you introducing twits in line under load. My thinking is if I use Warp speed 2 and strip all the way to clutch Dyneema 12 strand will take a twist...but I am not sure on this. I tried to call Samson but they don't have tech support.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I assume you are speaking about kinking a double braided rope. The Samson article entitled "Rope Handling" and New England rope articles might be of interest on avoiding kinking and how best to coil them.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
actually i am using it for inside forestay with double purchase and it kinks terribly when I tension forestay for storm jib.
Ah, that's different, but still some unknown variables.
Get a new line for this application?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
This is nearly always a problem with either...
  • Coiling, as others have mentioned.
  • A sequence of blocks that imparts a twist.
  • The use of swivel blocks where fixed blocks will work. Surprisingly few blocks actually need to swivel.
I'd focus on eliminating the twist rather than trying to treat the problem by changing ropes, which ultimately, won't work as well.