Kerosene cook stoves

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Alge

Does anyone have and use a kerosene stove on their boat? I have been contenplating a Taylor stove and was wondering if anyone has one? I am not real crazy about propane stoves and alcohol stoves have left me cold in the past[ I had one on my old boat and it would barely boil water]

D

Doug Margison

Reconsider non pressurized alcohol

I agree with you about Propane. Had a propane stove and heater in my old catalina sloop and always worried about it. A lot of people swear by propane though - it's clean and hot and providing solonoids and sniffers are used, quite safe. We have non pressure alcohol in our '90 Hunter 30 and my wife and I swear by it. Burns clean and hot blue flame and is exceptionally safe. Coffee (four cups) perks in about 6 - 7 minutes. I have head people say that non pressurized alcohol is not hot enough, but certainly not our experience. We use the oven to bake as well. Our oven heats to 400 in 12 mins (thats about as hot as it gets though). Diesel and or kerosene are both dirty fuels. Fine for outside vented appliances such as on board furnaces, but stoves??? No parts to break down either. If our Hunter did not come with a non pressurized alcohol stove, I never would have considered buying one, but now it is our stove of choice and my wife and I both enjoy cooking on the boat. Good luck with your decision. Doug

R

Ron

Depends

We use a Force Ten 3 burner stove with oven and broiler aboard our H37C. If you plan to cruise you'll find acohol increasingly more difficult to find in other countries whereas, propane is readily available almost everywhere. You can even borrow some from a neighbor if you have the hose made up in advance. With the proper venting propane is very safe with no flare-ups and no smell. Twenty pounds of propane seems to last forever and is very cheap if purchased from a propane dealer and not at Walmart, U-haul and the likes. Of course, a lot depends on use, space and cost so that is a decision best made by you. We wouldn't have anything else. Good Luck and good eating.... Ron

R

Ron

Depends Cont.

I posted a pic in the photo forum in case you are interested in the Force Ten stove... Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.