Keel winch cable

Dec 25, 2014
Sirius 21 Havelock Ontario
In doing some much needed repairs to "I'm Sirius", the keel winch cable needs to be replaced.
Does anyone know the correct cable size?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
The formula I use is the working load is 10% of the breaking strength. So with a 500 lbs. keel you need wire with a breaking strength of 5000 lbs minimum. That is at least 1/4 stainless wire 7X19 is preferred as it bends around the winch drum better. My boat originally came with 1X19 wire that has an even higher breaking strength but it dos not bend as easy and stands are breaking so it needs replacement. Some people are now using these new high tech composite ropes...there is a thread about it if you look for it.

Dec 25, 2014
Thanks for the information. I appreciate your expertise in this area and will go by your recommendation.

Help me with this thought: is the cable lifting 500 lbs or somewhat less?

Jul 19, 2009
Vandestadt & McGruer Sirius 21 #190 Dayton Ohio
The keel cable is only lifting about half of the weight of the keel with the boat out of the water and even less in the water. I have not measured the diameter of my keel cable. Did you?

Dec 25, 2014
Have removed the winch for maintenance (hasn't been used for a few years) so the cable was easy to measured - 1/4". Seems awful stiff. Wonder what Vandestadt & McGruer equipped the boat with when new.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
See my earlier post. 1X19 is usually used for standing rigging and that's what came OEM with my boat. Like shanster says the lifting weight is somewhat less than the 500 lbs keel weight as some rests on the pivot bolt. The 1/4 cable may be overkill but the wire takes a lot of abuse being on the winch drum so it has a large safety factor. At least two of the stands of the 1X19 on my boat are broken and the wire is badly crushed in a few spots. 7X19 wire is a better choice so go with what your comfortable with. I would not go smaller than 3/16 myself.