Keel up or keel down

Jan 23, 2014
Hunter H26 Peachland
So, I keep my boat in a marina all summer and remove it in winter. Do you h26 owners leave your keel up or down while in the marina?? Thx. Willem.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This questions comes up every now and again.... and I don't think it is settled (or will be). I keep mine up. My reasoning is that the constant rocking will waller out the pivot hole over time. But I have no evidence to back up my suspicion. Some people think leaving it down dampens the sway of the boat and thus puts less stress on the rig over time.....

YMMV

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I use to leave mine up when stored in the slip and down when I was aboard in the slip to dampen the rocking. Not on a Hunter, but the concept is the same..

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
"Up" for our Mac26S. Our situation may be unique though. We are on a reservoir and the "cheap" slips are shallow. One time we thought we had enough water under us to leave the centerboard down. We came back the next week and the CB was stuck in the mud. They had let that much water out. :banghead:

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
"Up" for our Mac26S. Our situation may be unique though. We are on a reservoir and the "cheap" slips are shallow. One time we thought we had enough water under us to leave the centerboard down. We came back the next week and the CB was stuck in the mud. They had let that much water out. :banghead:
:plus:

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
If you have zebra mussels, keeping the keel up at the slip might be a good idea. A dock neighbor of mine had left her C22 swing keel down through the summer, and couldn't figure out why the keel wouldn't come back up when it was time to haul. I'm not sure how she got it taken care of, but I suspect someone had to dive and scrape. Not a job I would want to do at the end of the season, mid October, in Ohio.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Depending on the marine growth in your area and the frequency of use you may end up with a stuck keel either in the up or down position.

• Helpful
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Make sure your centerboard line is in good shape so it will not break causing it to come down seriously doing damage

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Up. There is far less fouling that way, because there is less oxygen, no light, and greater biocide concentration. Also risk of grounding.

If a board does stick , it is always just fouling at the opening, and is easily cut loose with a scraper.